• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropped from 3cm, phone ptrned off - Is this normal?

Cleargrey

Mar 23, 2010
I am trying to investigate why I seem to come to my phone (without dropping it) and it is sometimes off. I remembered that I had a couple of small drops before, the kind of drop that would not have made ANY previous phone I've had even skip a beat. So I did a test and dropped it on purpose.

3cm drop.
Phone dropped completely flat on it's back so it landed flat.
Phone in silicone/gel tight fitting case.
Glass table.
Screen on when dropped.

Result? Phone instantly off on impact. To me, I find this way too delicate in comparison to phones I've owned. Now, this is my first big screen smartphone, but not my first smartphone. My last was the Nokia E71 which was very very well built. Evidently, it was even better built than I thought.

Am I being harsh/naive and this is normal, or do I have a delicate unit?

Seriously I don't get it, would you shell out on 400 quids worth of any other tech and expect it to be fine if you dropped it ??? do you throw your laptop around and expect it to be fine?

Phones aren't just phones anymore, to get everything in there and keep it to a useable size you sacrafice some protection.
Sure old school Nokias etc could survive a serious beating, but the compoenents were massive and bullet proof.

Upvote 0
We're talking 3-5 cm here (that is less than 2 inches), not 3-5m. I think it is more than reasonable to expect the phone to survive that, unless it costs next to nothing.

Regarding laptops: how many times did you accidentally drop your notebook vs. your telephone ? You also don't put your notebook in your pocket, use it while you walk, ... But even notebooks these days have sensors to protect at least the data on your hard drive.

Upvote 0
Dropped mine (without case) from 5 or 6 cm on a mouse pad (hard plastic one). Tried 3 or 4 times, phone didn't turn off. Then I dropped it once (and I have no intention of repeating) on a wooden table from 3 or 4 cm and it still didn't turn off.

A big thankyou for that! I know few would have done the same.

And to those that compare dropping a phone 3cm to throwing around laptops or refering it to being unreasonable, I think we need to get perspective. All tech is impact tested to varying degrees. If it wasn't, you'd soon find out how annoying it is to accidentally tap a laptop or a phone in your pocket on something you walk past. Tech gets accidentally abused every day but we don't notice because they survive the taps.

And trust me, from someone who has worked in a few warehouses for summer jobs in his youth, if tech (even you desktops and tvs) weren't designed to be resilient to some degree, at least 30% of what leaves the warehouse would be DOA!

Industries are built making machines that stress test most of the things we buy, including drop testing phones. This is a basic test that most phones go through. Most phones. Though of course they will never recommend you drop your phone to compare results!

Think of it this way, if the smartphones of today didn't survive being dropped even 1cm, imagine the hassle and cost (both financial and to image) of replacing all the phones which have had very minor impacts. Or of course, not replacing it and watching the public backlash. Things may not be built like they used to, but I'm pretty sure they are not this bad. Expensive or not.

Upvote 0
Trust me i know what these things should be able to withstand, it's a sideways stream for the business I'm employed in.

And I stand by my original sentiment I think it is unreasonable to expect these to survive a 2 inch drop onto a hard non resilient surface, desirable yes, but not a given, and unless advertised as a "tough phone" it isn't intended to be dropped.

Upvote 0
If a phone can't survive 3-5 cm drop than I'd rather know it now so I can buy another one that will. But I bet these devices are designed to survive much more than that, e.g.: Nokia's testing lab is a cell phone's chamber of horrors - Computerworld

Google released some promotional videos for their Nexus One showing the testing it goes through. As the hardware was made by HTC I'm sure all of their phones go through the same tests, which looked pretty tough infact.

Upvote 0
Ok. So either (by other people's experiences) I have a weak Tiny Tim Desire, or other people's units are just performing above and beyond the call of duty.

gibbs1984 asked if it switches off when I shake it. It doesn't. However it does make a gentle rattle when I gently shake it near my ear. But it always made this noise, even before I ever dropped it. I had assumed it was the vibrating mechanism.

Does anyone's unit make any noise when shaken?

Upvote 0
Ok. So either (by other people's experiences) I have a weak Tiny Tim Desire, or other people's units are just performing above and beyond the call of duty.

gibbs1984 asked if it switches off when I shake it. It doesn't. However it does make a gentle rattle when I gently shake it near my ear. But it always made this noise, even before I ever dropped it. I had assumed it was the vibrating mechanism.

Mine started freezing when using graphics intensive apps and then started doing exactly the same thing as yours.

I would often go to use the phone and find it had switched itself off. Also turned off when I dropped it from a couple of cms when putting it down.

Mine is now with HTC and being tested to see if it's defective.

I'll keep you posted

Upvote 0

I believe the rattle is to do with the camera lense, which isn't a problem I believe.

I can't think of anything but faulty hardware to be honest, or a loose wire.

Upvote 0
Well, here's the response I got from HTC. I just asked them if there are any sounds/rattles meant to be coming from the phone, however soft.

" Thank you for contacting us. In answer to your query regarding an audible rattling sound within your HTC Desire, this may be related to a hardware fault, however it is also possible that what you are hearing is the volume buttons on the side of the device, as these sit quite loose in the housing. Please put your finger gently on these and shake the phone again, exercising caution that you do not drop the device in the process. If the rattle continues, then we highly recommend that you return your device to your retailer as soon as possible, and request a replacement. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards,"

I got that yesterday. I went to Carphonewarehouse to ask them about this because I've been trying to find out from forums, CPW and HTC for a while if it's anything to be concerned about, and CPW have told me that because I've had the phone for about 36 days, it's past their 30 day replacement duration. Even though I explained to the salesperson that a) I spoke casually to a CPW member in another store 2 weeks ago who said it's probably nothing (I think because he couldn't hear it in the busy store) and just see if anything develops and b) I've email HTC and was waiting for a response, aparently contacting HTC doesn't matter and they can't take responsibility for the advice of another CPW staff.

I honestly thought Carphonewarehouse was better than this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones