1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Dropped G2 - who else has broken their G2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Snowman269, Feb 22, 2011.

?

What did you break on your G2

1. Broke / Cracked Touch Screen Glass.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Hinge broken.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Internal Componenet Hardware failure.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I have dropped phone and it survived with no issues.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  5. I drop phone 10+ times G2 is very durable no issues.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. I have the T Mobile "Asurion" Insurance

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. I have different Insurance covering my G2

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. I don't have phone insurance.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Snowman269

Snowman269 Newbie
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Tech Company
    MN
    Had G2 for a few weeks, smashed the glass already.

I had G2 in my shirt pocket, while on my knees I leaned to look under vehicle, I'm thinking the phone dropped (maybe) 18 inches to the concrete, Glass down, and it was broken pretty good.

This is the 1st phone I've broken a screen, or wreaked ever. it may have fallen just in a way to break it. The My Touch Slide 3G and G1 both seemed very durable to drops.

This G2 is quite delicate with a metal bezel that doesn't offer any protection to the screen. The top edge of glass is a corner, nothing like the accident prone IP4, but exposed non-the-less. The My touch has the case that protrudes past the screen and does a nice job of protecting the glass, The G1 has enough case and with the bottom chin the glass cannot lay flat on a hard surface.

I really like the hinge, because the phone is super thin with the keyboard open. I'm thinking this may be difficult to find a decent case that doesn't look stupid.

This is the best looking phone I have had, and has a professional image of quality. Some phones look cheap, Nexus S for example.

I'm very disappointed with the insurance T Mobile offers. I have insurance on 3 - G2's, & 1 - My Touch Slide 3G. plus I had insurance on both G1's for 2.5 years and never made an insurance claim. And after all this, I have to pay $130 for the deductible. This is ridiculous! I expected to be able to swap my phone out, no additional charge.

I am thinking i would be way ahead if I pocket the insurance premiums, and buy a phone off Ebay next time.

Only unless this phone is prone to breaking easily, it may then make sense to keep these G2's insured.

Who has broken their phone, Glass etc.

Advertisement

2. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    work for the man.
    TEXAS
    I have dropped mine a couple times. Both were the classic phone in my lap getting out of the car drops. No issues but I also have the T-mobile black case.

TheamazingCorey likes this.
  3. Queue515

Queue515 Newbie
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    Maybe you only broke the digitizer?

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/htc-t-mobile-g2-google-glass-screen-digitizer.html

4. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Sacramento, CA
    Nope. Had my phone for 3 months now, and i have yet to drop it once. When I'm using it, i hold it firmly in my hand. When not in use, i store it in my jacket or front pants pocket. I'm very paranoid about my expensive devices and i always keep myself aware of where my phone is at all times so that no freak accidents end up happining to it.

The way i see it, the phone's protection is up to the owner, not the phone's design. I've never heard of a phone that was DESIGNED to be dropped. If you drop your laptop computer and it breaks, are you going to blame it on the company for not designing it strong enough? Smartphones are handheld computers. If i were a developer, i would not build a device catering specifically to the clumsy or careless. That's what accessories are for. The fact that so many people drop their several hundred dollar smartphones with such frequency leads me to believe that either people keep themselves too distracted to maintain the proper safety of their devices, or they probably just don't value them as much as they ought to. It shocks me how often i see and hear about cracked screens.

5. Snowman269

Snowman269 Newbie
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Tech Company
    MN
    Nice, a rare perfect person who never drops their phone.

I treat my laptops the same, and being this is the 1st item I have broke, I'm not going to change my behavior.

I seldom dropped my G1, the case was just easy to hold, good texture, good design.

The My Touch Slide 3G, The texture is soooo smooth, it would slide out of my hands like a bar of soap. I knew I needed to buy something different because it was difficult for me to hold. I passed it on to one of my employees, she has small hands and doesn't seem to have a problem holding it.

The G2 seemed better that way, good texture, should be easy to hold. Then the first time it falls out of my pocket, crash, broken. It must be a fluke incident. But, if it's not and I break another, I'll switch to something more robust.

Little do you know, HTC does test these phones to sustain a gentle drop, because if they are too fragile, they would be out of business.

In a free society like the USA, if you pay for it and you own it, you can treat it with the value you want to.

These smartphones are tools, not something to be idolized. As fast as technology moves, these phones are outdated with little value in weeks.

Duocore and Quadcore are almost here!

6. TheamazingCorey

None

Dec 24, 2008
    student
    Belle Chasse, LA
    I've done the same thing a couple of times also, but so far I've been lucky and it fell screen side up

7. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Sacramento, CA
    Just curious, why is your phone in your lap while you're driving your car? (Even though I'm sure I already know the answer) All these news stories about the dangers of distracted driving, and yet some people still never seem to learn...

As a pedestrian, you have no idea how irritating it is to see so many drivers who aren't paying attention to the road in front of them. There have been multiple occasions in which I could possibly have been hit by these people, had I not been aware of these drivers' lack of awareness. Its getting to the point where the best way to stay alive is to ASSUME that the driver of the car approaching you is NOT paying attention to you and react accordingly. And that is sad.

8. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    i agree..what kind of r-**** has their phone in their LAP?

do yourself and the world a favor and stop texting while driving and/or talking while driving. seriously. i dont care how good of a driver you are, it makes you worse than a drunk driver.

9. gggirlgeek

gggirlgeek Newbie
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Seattle
    I like the leather cases that have a magnetic flap because they have a lip that sticks out a little beyond the phone. So even though the vertical flip one looks like an old-school 80's phone while you're talking, it offers a little more protection from a fall than a gel or crystal case.

I have one on my Nokia and it looks really nice and protects very well. Got it on Ebay (faux leather.) It's more difficult to remove when swapping out batteries than a gel skin though.

10. rjgreen3

rjgreen3 Lurker
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Counselor
    Baltimore, Md
    I have a black textured Body Glove case and still carry it in (faux leather) case. It's very secure and not really in the way of my daile activities.

11. warpt

warpt Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    desktop tech
    gulf coast
    the first drop was only from knee high, phone landed flat on back side, display would no longer come on. Got exchange from TMO store, have dropped it several times with no problems. Even dropped it at a Disturbed concert, while taking video, I was in middle of about 1000 ppl, it hit the ground, battery cover went one way, phone another, managed to get it before anyone stepped on it, put cover back on and it booted right up with zero damage... I now have and otterbox on the way for it, hope it gets here soon.

Amazon.com: OtterBox HTC4-G2XXX-20-E4OTR Commuter Series Hybrid Case for HTC G2 & Desire Z - Black 1 Pack-Case-Retail Packaging-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Tags: