1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Dropped in toilet

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vanessa Singleton, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Vanessa Singleton

Dropped my LG stylo 6 in the toilet i got it out quick but i had a crack on the back of it. i turned it off and took out the sim.....but it started flashing on and off....is it done for and what do i do now everything im reading says take out the battery and take it apart......cant do that what do i do now>>

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I'd just opt to buy a new phone...

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Try putting it in rice, for days not hours. If a lot of water got in it it's probably done-for though. See what happens after a good dry-out but yeah.

Bearsyzf, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Personally, any device that falls into a toilet is dead in my opinion.
    Automatic trash bin!

ocnbrze and tube517 like this.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The first thing you MUST do is turn it off, if possible. Trying to use a water damaged phone is only going to make it worse. I'll try not to be too gross here, but it would depend on whether the water was clean or had been ... um ... used already. :oops: If the water was clean, it might be possible to completely dry it out and revive it, but as @Clementine_3 stated, it's going to take days, not hours. And it will depend on the humidity levels to begin with. If your area is relatively dry (below 50% humidity) then putting your phone in a ziploc bag with a cup or two of uncooked rice for at least 48 hours might dry it enough. However with a crack in the case, I'd give it up to a week in the rice before trying it.

If the water was dirty, as in recently used (eewww) then I'd replace the phone. Not because of the sanitary reasons, but because waste contains a good deal of salt which will immediately begin to corrode electronics.

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Everyone is correct.
    But I like to fidget.
    Got important stuff on the device that you want?

Get a bottle of 91% (or even stronger) isoprophyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Cost? About $2.50.

If all else fails, you might as well soak it in this stuff.
    The idea is that it could rinse off the mineral deposits left behind by the water, and it drys incredibly fast.
    This is where the real damage comes from, not the water itself.

Another cheap idea to try, but I must stress for this to be done outdoors- away from any source of flame or ignition, and well ventilated.

Starting fluid, like for your car.

Cost? About $3-$4 a can.

This stuff is either and some solvent.
    It will clean electronics extremely well, and not leave harmful deposits while drying extremely fast.

It is extremely cold when spraying, so wear gloves and be careful.

In both cases, open the device up as much as possible, and get the fluid into the holes and buttons.

Both dry very fast, but what gets internal could take a while to dry.

Be sure it is dry before turning it on, and especially before plugging it into a charger.

Personally, when the time came, I would also plug the charger into the device before I plugged the charger into power.

These fluids, especially the starting fluid, are highly flammable- even moreso when they are just vapor!

LG G6 Forum

The LG G6 release date was March 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 821 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

March 2017
Release Date
Reviews