• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropped it, effed it, but what now?

H

HYCAET

Righty then - this is the long and short of things.

I dropped my Desire face-down last weekend which resulted in a minor screen bleed which after 24hrs had totally killed the screen.

The phone is essentially useless now, so I was just going to sell it as a non-working handset. The problem I have is with the data that's on the phone.

I've tried a hard reset using the volume/power button (following a video on youtube but of course I'm doing it with a blank screen) but I can't be sure it's worked.

Lookout mobile security can't perform a wipe with the phone in the state it is so that's not an option.

Can anyone explain what info will be accessible on the phone one my SD and SIM are out of it? If someone got the phone working and popped their SIM in, would the automatcally be logged into my gmail account? And all my saved passwords on the browser?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

peace. x

I was looking to simply sell the phone as non-working to one of these mobile websites. My main concern is regarding the information on the phone. If someone else put their SIM in the phone (if they got the screnn working), would they still be logged into my gmail account etc?

Upvote 0
Looked at that diy repair beyond my capabilities.:eek:

I heard on here, I think that someone who would call them self a "noob" managed to repair their screen when they bought another one, apperantly it was dead easy.

If I remember I will take a look for the post since I'm starting work soon.

How much will you get from one of these sites?

Upvote 0
SUroot, you seem to have the know how so maybe I can run this by you.

I managed to get my phone to power up, so i used another handset to disable PIN requirement and popped the SIM in my desire. I then used another phone to ring it and it rand out fine and vibrated. So, the next thing I tried was to email my gmail account to see if it was received by the phone. It wasn't (no sound or vibrate).

Would this suggest the hard reset has worked?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones