• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dropped Optimus V in water

jetfactor

Feb 28, 2011
So, my dumbass dropped my Optimus V into water and it became completely submerged... I quickly turned it off, took out battery, SD card, back plate, and stuck it in rice for a day. Didn't know if it would work, but hey, it was worth a try.

After a day in the rice I put a charged battery in, turned it on, and wow! Touch screen didn't work. :(

Put back in rice for half a day longer, then put the battery in. Nope, wouldn't even turn on. Given up, I put it in my bedside drawer and put in a claim for a new phone ($60 with VM's insurance).

About seven hours later I'm messing around with skype and call my phone number, and it freaking RINGS. A bit dumbfounded, I answer, will only work on speaker, and freaking out giving a high-pitched tone after a moment. Everything else seems to work totally fine on the phone.

Think I should wait a bit more to see if the problem further "fixes" itself and NOT pay for a new phone, or just go ahead and spend the $60?

I must say though, not bad for being dropped in water...

Reactions: YankeeBelle
soooo you all are saying to keep trying to dry is out, screw paying $60 for a new one?

the new one already shipped, and after another 10 hours of rice, my phone works fine except: top button will not work to turn on/off, can only use speaker to talk to people (sounds EXTREMELY tinny, too), and can't listen to music - which is strange to me since the speaker is working semi-properly for voice. i'm giving it one more day in the rice.

*sigh*

there's just something about that first phone that you don't feel like replacing...

Upvote 0
I think you should have waited longer before putting the battery back in and trying it. To completely dry it would probably take about a week. Before you turn anything on it should completely dry, no residual moisture. If you turn it on with water still in it, you have a higher chance of really ruining it permanently. But if you waited the full week (in rice) it should have completely dried and would probably have worked perfectly.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I think you should have waited longer before putting the battery back in and trying it. To completely dry it would probably take about a week. Before you turn anything on it should completely dry, no residual moisture. If you turn it on with water still in it, you have a higher chance of really ruining it permanently. But if you waited the full week (in rice) it should have completely dried and would probably have worked perfectly.

wow, a full WEEK. most hits i was getting online about it would recommend 24 hours. ah well. you live, you learn - not to keep your phone in your pocket when messing around the turtle pond.

Upvote 0
I used to work in a lab and we used Acetone to make sure moisture was removed. It dries very quickly taking the moisture with it. Acetone is the same ingredient in nail polish remover.

If you decide to try it be careful. It is very, very flammable.

i'm a chick, so i have nail polish hanging around. but, if i did this, WHICH part would i do? the water damage is only affecting voice calls. i cannot hear them unless i put them on speaker. everything else is working perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
This is why buying from Target is optimal! Any issues like this I just take it back. In fact if the slightest thing is wrong I buy a new one and take back the old one. It's cool because you get 90 days. Target is great about returns with receipt too.

However with it jumping up to $199 that throws a dent in my plan.

Upvote 0
Since you are getting a new one, not much risk. I'd put a couple drops right into the tiny speaker. It it is still wet, it might help. If it's something else, I don't think it will do any damage to metal or circuit board. It might screw up the finish on any plastic on the phone though.

well, the new one came and i have to send the old one back, so i'll do it without trying to the nail polish trick. i don't want them to deny it because i messed with it too much, and having a new phone is probably best anyhow... other little quirks have started to pop up with my waterphone, and there may be more in the future. thanks so much for the tip though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones