1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Dropped s3 in toilet & it works fine BUT... camera's are blurry

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nikolaijayne, Jul 24, 2013.

1. nikolaijayne

nikolaijayne Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    I'm new to this so I hope someone can help me!!
    My s3 fell out of my back pocket and dropped in the toilet.... I've never done it before so I've no idea what to do. I left it turned off on a windowsill to dry off then a few hours later turned it on and everything worked fine, it even stayed working when I pulled it out of the water. I've been using it fine since yesterday (even charging it, woops!)
    BUT now I've just realized both the cameras have bubbles of water in them and pictures come out blurry...... I dismantled the phone and there were still droplets of water inside. Is it best at this point to put it in rice for a bit to dry out, and will it be enough to remove water from the camera? I've removed battery/sim/sd card etc. just need some advice what to do next!

Advertisement

2. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I would turn it off right away, remove the battery, and cover it with rice in an container for couple of days. There is still water you can't see, in gaps between tiny components, corroding your device and causing damage.
    The rice should do a very decent job getting out what you can't do with tissue or by shaking it off.

nikolaijayne likes this.
  3. nikolaijayne

nikolaijayne Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    Thanks for your reply! I'll go buy some rice and do that straight away! Do I put the phone and battery in separately, instead of putting the battery back in? And will it be okay to use the SIM and SD Card in another phone for the time being? I really hope this works!

4. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Interactive Designer/Developer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbp-0kWMlg

I would remove everything where some water could be trapped. Remove battery, Sim, SDcard, and cover. While you can dry the cover and the sim, put the rest in the zip-bag or Tupperware and spread them apart. Perhaps you will get the water out of the cameras as well.

Best of luck!

5. EricH4753

EricH4753 Android Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2012
    Male
    Unemployed
    China
    Thats what I did I had my phone with the cover off in the rice. Then I put the battery in it too. I kept my sim card and sd card in a paper bag until it was fine.

nikolaijayne likes this.
  6. nikolaijayne

nikolaijayne Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    Did your phone work fine again after doing this? Thanks for your advice I'll put everything in rice straight away and keep my sim and sd card wrapped up for now!

7. EricH4753

Jun 24, 2012
    Male
    Unemployed
    China
    It did! ,but it wouldn't charge I got a replacement though from VM did you have any luck?

8. nikolaijayne

nikolaijayne Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    When you say a replacement, did you need a whole new phone or just battery?? I've taken it out of the rice and looks as though all the water has gone, everything works fine & just charging it now so fingers crossed it will work!!

9. EricH4753

Jun 24, 2012
    Male
    Unemployed
    China
    You got lucky sometimes when you drop your phone the battery gets destroyed very poor life.You can get a new one if that is the case ,but my old evo the charger didn't work when I plugged it in. I'd also re commended disinfecting the phone before you use ,because toilets aren't the cleanest things ever.

10. nikolaijayne

nikolaijayne Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Female
    England, UK
    Thanks for your reply, looks like I got lucky this time! I gave it a full charge and it's holding power well, only trouble is the water damage square is still purple but I guess that's meant to be permanent..... how would you recommend I disinfect it?? I've already started using it, didn't even think of cleaning it as it was only in for less than 3 seconds!