• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dropped s3 in toilet & it works fine BUT... camera's are blurry

I'm new to this so I hope someone can help me!!
My s3 fell out of my back pocket and dropped in the toilet.... I've never done it before so I've no idea what to do. I left it turned off on a windowsill to dry off then a few hours later turned it on and everything worked fine, it even stayed working when I pulled it out of the water. I've been using it fine since yesterday (even charging it, woops!)
BUT now I've just realized both the cameras have bubbles of water in them and pictures come out blurry...... I dismantled the phone and there were still droplets of water inside. Is it best at this point to put it in rice for a bit to dry out, and will it be enough to remove water from the camera? I've removed battery/sim/sd card etc. just need some advice what to do next!

I'm new to this so I hope someone can help me!!
My s3 fell out of my back pocket and dropped in the toilet.... I've never done it before so I've no idea what to do. I left it turned off on a windowsill to dry off then a few hours later turned it on and everything worked fine, it even stayed working when I pulled it out of the water. I've been using it fine since yesterday (even charging it, woops!)
BUT now I've just realized both the cameras have bubbles of water in them and pictures come out blurry...... I dismantled the phone and there were still droplets of water inside. Is it best at this point to put it in rice for a bit to dry out, and will it be enough to remove water from the camera? I've removed battery/sim/sd card etc. just need some advice what to do next!

I would turn it off right away, remove the battery, and cover it with rice in an container for couple of days. There is still water you can't see, in gaps between tiny components, corroding your device and causing damage.
The rice should do a very decent job getting out what you can't do with tissue or by shaking it off.

Reactions: nikolaijayne
Upvote 0
Thats what I did I had my phone with the cover off in the rice. Then I put the battery in it too. I kept my sim card and sd card in a paper bag until it was fine.

Did your phone work fine again after doing this? Thanks for your advice I'll put everything in rice straight away and keep my sim and sd card wrapped up for now!

Upvote 0
You got lucky sometimes when you drop your phone the battery gets destroyed very poor life.You can get a new one if that is the case ,but my old evo the charger didn't work when I plugged it in. I'd also re commended disinfecting the phone before you use ,because toilets aren't the cleanest things ever.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, looks like I got lucky this time! I gave it a full charge and it's holding power well, only trouble is the water damage square is still purple but I guess that's meant to be permanent..... how would you recommend I disinfect it?? I've already started using it, didn't even think of cleaning it as it was only in for less than 3 seconds!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones