• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dropping 3G, hot battery and Replacement

dequardo

Android Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2009
Just my experience noted here. Got the X last week. I had ongoing problems with 3G signal dropping to 1x regardless of how strong a signal area I was in. Phone also got VERY warm when accessing data. I'd classify it as hot.

I got a replacement today. Very impressed with the quick delivery. Unfortunately the 3G problem remains on this one (it's actually worse) and it gets just as hot. I think there's a real problem generally with the device. I really loved the solid build and phone design. Hopefully a SW fix can eventually solve this for you all.

I'm a reformed iPhone (3Gs then 4) user and have switched to the EVO and will hang out over on those forums. Good luck to you all here.

Reactions: BBtoDroidX
Im pretty sure the 3G problems are wide spread as my 3G only works about 50% of the time and other times its 1x or no Internet at all, it gets really frustrating but quite a bit of others have this problem so its not just us. What I have seen that helps is to turn on airplane mode and to turn it off again and that the battery manager isn't messing it up.

Upvote 0
Just my experience noted here. Got the X last week. I had ongoing problems with 3G signal dropping to 1x regardless of how strong a signal area I was in. Phone also got VERY warm when accessing data. I'd classify it as hot.

I got a replacement today. Very impressed with the quick delivery. Unfortunately the 3G problem remains on this one (it's actually worse) and it gets just as hot. I think there's a real problem generally with the device. I really loved the solid build and phone design. Hopefully a SW fix can eventually solve this for you all.

I'm a reformed iPhone (3Gs then 4) user and have switched to the EVO and will hang out over on those forums. Good luck to you all here.
You have described the exact problem I have as well. I've had the Droid X for one week now, and the 3G seems to drop and switch to 1X more than 50% of the time. What's also very interesting (and upsetting) is that I have yet to get "full bars" on my Droid X. I have yet to drop a call, but, I have not seen full signal strength. Now, I know the next questions: "Are you in an area which has good cell coverage?" The answer is YES. I have a standard Verizon flip phone and an AT&T flip phone, both get full bars in my home and at work. Why doesn't the Droid X display full bars? Verizon- I want an answer!

With the exception of the size, weight, and loss of 3G, I really love this phone. Although, if the 3G issue and the signal strength indicator does not get resolved, I may go back with AT&T and get that crappy Captivate. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
I do not beleive that this is the phone's problem, I think it is verizon's problem. This is my first smartphone. I have had Verizon for many years and always had a strong signal in my house on the dumb phones. However, the 3g signal does come and go in my house. Sometimes I switch to wifi. However, all around town the 3g signal is very strong. If it were a phone problem I wouldn't get that strong signal around town. And, despite the screen showing a weak signal, I still get clear calls and no drops.

Upvote 0
I have the same problems as described. 3G drops to 1x and web browsing is like watching syrup pour. I tried the airplane mode on/off. Then did the *228 option 2. Then I walked about 2 miles away from my house attempting to see if it was just my location or maybe there is something with the phone itself. I had some success, but it was hit and miss.

I also have a Captivate running on AT&T with NO 3G problems. I use it in the same location so I have to eliminate the 3G network. Maybe we need a bumper case...jeez I hope it's not something like that! :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones