• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dropping to 3G since KitKat

Don't know if they are related but did that tape trick with the sim card and no more sim card issues. Knock on wood. But also since I have not noticed my DNA drop out of 4G either. Hoping this holds out till Xmas when I plan to upgrade.
But to be on the safe side got a plain (dumb) phone, LG Exalt just to have around to make calls if need be if the DNA craps out on me.

Upvote 0
I've done several factory resets, rooted the phone, installed several different custom ROMS, installed an older version of the bootloader and nothing seems to fix the problem.

I finally installed an app that allows me to force the phone to use a 3G connection and that works perfectly. So in my case it's an issue specifically with 4G.

That app is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andirc.lteonfoff

Verizon is sending me a new SIM card. Not sure if that will help or not but it's worth a shot!

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering if you folks are still experiencing problems dropping to 3G. Not too long after this thread was started I began having issues as well but only at home... A week later everything is back to normal but there's a new array of antennas up on the Verizon tower across the street... They added the hardware necessary for AWS which explains the wonky weak signals and lack of LTE at times.

I'm wondering if this was happening everywhere else and could explain the issues we've been having.

Sadly our phones don't support the AWS band so there's no way to see if it's been turned on locally or not.

Upvote 0
I'm not expecting a fix. Can't see HTC putting a lot of effort into this phone. Especially since it doesn't prevent the phone from functioning, just prevents it from functioning efficiently.

Hopefully the LG G3 launches sooner than later (being announced Tuesday). I've already determined that's my next phone, and with the 4G issues on the DNA, I'll be getting it on launch day.

Upvote 0
Have any of you had the ability to check other Verizon phones to see if they are staying on 4G when the DNA is dropping back to 3G?

I lost LTE around 10:30 this evening and was able to check another phone... It said it was on 4G, but it was also on wifi and I didn't think to turn off wifi and check it more thoroughly.

Yes, the DNA was the only one that dropped to 3G.

Upvote 0
My wifes Galaxy shows 4G, and mine is 3G and 1X a lot, at my house. I can't believe they did this to a great phone.
Yea really. The DNA rocked just fine for over a year and after the updates all this crap. The Incredible stayed solid. I liked it so well I kept it two and a half years. The DNA is getting upgrade from as soon as the contract is up. And wondering if I want to do another HTC now.

My backup is a LG Exalt and that stays at 4 bars everywhere and is very very clear says my kid brother. So Maybe a LG smartphone for Christmas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones