• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DSLR Application?

Your dSLR would need an onboard wireless interface/connection to be operated remotely. Something like Bluetooth or WiFi. Does your dSLR have that?

sorry I mislead you guys. what i meant is that, is there an application for the android smartphones that the phone act like a DSLR or a Digitial Camera? like it will enable you to have options like exposure, shutter speed, iso, white balance and so on.

Upvote 0
sorry I mislead you guys. what i meant is that, is there an application for the android smartphones that the phone act like a DSLR or a Digitial Camera? like it will enable you to have options like exposure, shutter speed, iso, white balance and so on.

Vignette and camera360 will give you control over everything but the speed. They each have their plusses and minuses but because they have different features I actually have both. They both offer lite editions but the paid versions are reasonably priced.

Personally I like vignette better of the two.

Upvote 0
Vignette and Camera360Pro both are still limited by what your phone makes available to them. On my Captivate, the native app lets you set ISO, but apparently it doesn't let 3rd parties access the API and so ISO doesn't show up as a manual setting for me, only Auto.

One really cool new camera app is Little Photo, I actually like it the best of my camera apps right now, it doesn't do high-res images but for a quick, artistic photo app for snapshots it is awesome. And free. No manual settings but since you are looking at camera apps it is worth having on your phone.

Upvote 0
On my Droid X, I can open the stock camera app, hit the Menu button, then go into Settings, and I can adjust Exposure and ISO. You don't have your device listed there under your name, so we can't be as helpful as possible without knowing what you have.

oh coz im still hunting for the perfect camera phone.
Im thinking of the Xperia X10 right now.. any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming you want an Android powered camera phone? I'm not sure which Android phone has the best camera, but I think I've heard the Sony phones are pretty good. I know some of the Nokia smartphones have pretty sweet cameras with Carl Zeiss lenses and optical zoom, but they aren't Android and are a little bulky because of the optical zoom stuff. Otherwise, most camera phones are at best decent, the small CMOS detectors in them just don't give as much detail as the larger detectors in a decent point-and-shoot, it's just the way it is, you can't pack as good photo hardware in with all the other hardware and keep the size/weight in the pocketable size.

Upvote 0
Actually, a DSLR is a digital single lens reflex camera, the digital equivalent of the old SLR's. An SLR is not just a high quality camera, it's a completely different beast from point-and-shoots. Rather than having a viewfinder (and nowadays a view screen) that simulates what actually gets "seen" by the "film" (sensor), and SLR has a complex shutter system where a mirror allows you to actually see what the sensor sees. As the shutter is released, the mirror briefly moves out of the way and the image is captured.

You can't turn a cell phone into a DSLR.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones