1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

dual boot roms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, May 20, 2011.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

[RECOVERY-BETA] Eris Multiboot recovery hack - xda-developers

looks like punk.kaos has somewhat returned to the eris scene. the above looks a lil complex until he cleans it up some.

my main interest is this: if you can use it to boot a rom from the SD card,would it be theoretically possible to do that,then somehow fix a phone whose partitions had been overwritten? therefore fixing a previously bricked device?

scary?eu1?doogald? anyone else? your thots on this? :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Scotty,

Not been any real activity on that thread or updates from Kaos...looks like you saw a member simply ping it to ask a question...

I posted a link to this way back when I first saw his thread:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...y-beta-kaos-eris-multiboot-recovery-hack.html

Didn't play with it or really try to understand how it works... It appears that Kaos has re-packed Amon_RA custom recovery with his own tools/scripts to support this.

Also, it looks like you have to hack/tweak the ROM you want to dual-boot and that the ROM runs somethings from the SD card itself (gotta have a somewhat fast SD card).

I'm not sure about your question though since I think that most bricked phones can't even get into recovery (and this method still requires you to boot up a recovery, Kaos' tweaked recovery in this case). Seems to me that if you can get into recovery at all, then you don't have a bricked device (since you could still flash eu1's bad block fixer-upper).

Dunno...I think I need more Mountain Dew in me, lol. ;) :D

scotty85 likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I guess that this would be a somewhat cool way to have multiple SDs loaded up with different ROM images to switch to without having to Nandroid backup/restore. But I'm not quite sure that I see the point otherwise - it seems to be problematic to need to start the phone and run an adb command from a computer if you are out and about; the Nandroid backup/restore process is not a broken one; well, those are the first two things that I can think of.

This seems more of a cool thing to do than a useful thing to do.

Actually, this looks more useful for something like dual-booting ROMs: [ROM] Dual Rom V1.2 | 2.2CM/AOSP 2.1 Sense in one.... [11/19/2010] - xda-developers

scotty85 likes this.
  4. scotty85

doh! *smacks forehead* usually im pretty good at checkin dates,and noticing when someone digs up an old thread.

i really could care less about having multiple roms to flip back and forth from,the main reason it caught my attention is for a recovery standpoint. i remember reading a thread awhile back on the eris brickings,where a bricked phone wouldnt do anything... they were able to get the s-off bootloader onto it,then i cant remember exactly... i think they used hboot to somehow resconstruct the damaged partitions. my thots were along similar lines... i figured if a bricked phone could be revived into an s-off situation,it could be used to flash a recovery. if one could flash a recovery that were capable of booting an OS solely from the sd card,seems that would could flash a rom and boot it from the sd card,even if partitions in the phones memory were damaged.

from there,maybe it would be somehow possible to repair the other damage,with a working phone.

maybe theres no way it would work,but thats what i had in mind when i asked the question :)

ill have to see if i can still find that thread. it was on xda,so you guys likely have seen it at some point... it may even be in the sticky...

anyway,as always thanks for the replys :)

5. scary alien

VIP Member

Scotty, you are welcome, as always!

Is this the one you mean: [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix? - xda-developers ?

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Perhaps you are recalling the method of running the RUU and then replacing the rom.zip file with the PB00IMG.zip old-school root image (renamed to rom.zip) and getting S-ON onto the phone that way?

See [Q] semi-Bricked?? fix? - xda-developers and [SOLVED] Anyway to Unbricked a Droid Eris? - xda-developers

7. scotty85

8. scary alien

VIP Member

lol, yep! eu1 / bftb0 tried to spread the good word about this... I think he helped at least one other person that was CWM bricked too.

Fun reading about this stuff, eh? ;) :D

9. scotty85

yup! for sure! i remember way back when i read it,it was completely over my head. while it still made my brain hurt,i had a much better understanding of it this time around.

really slick how they got it up and running again. :cool:

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews