1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Dual boot the Nook color

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HckrAdm2005, Apr 19, 2011.

1. HckrAdm2005

HckrAdm2005 Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Has anyone else been able to dual boot there nook color with android 2.2 or 3.0?

I"m able to root without a problem and install googleapps/market place.

When i try to run prep-dualboot-0.1.zip I get this:

Prepare dual-boot partitions
    Resize /media partition. This will take a while...
    Create secondary boot /system and /data
    Format secondary boot /system partition
    E:Error in /sdcard/prep-dualboot-0.1.zip
    (Status 0)
    Installation aborted.

I don't have a lot of stuff stored on the nook color so space is not an issue. Also I can't seem to find what status 0 means as well.

Advertisement

2. stinky

stinky Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    SoCal
    Not really sure why, I would search the original XDA thread about this and see if there is a similar problem, if not then ask there. You will probably get a better answer.

When I did the dual boot thing it all went smooth for me. Double check you got room on the nook since you need (3.9 ?) free to make it work. If all else fails, re download the files and try again.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Running out of room would seem likely.

How big is the sd card?

Have a link to the directions you're using?

4. mazook98

mazook98 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    WHY. Why dual boot? Waste of space, waste of time, waste of performance...You have 4 choices...Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb. One of those choices sucks, and you wouldn't buy a phone running it, so why would you ever want it on a tablet...Froyo is good, but you didn't get a tablet to run 2.2...Honeycomb will run, and you can get a lot of it to work, but too much won't and it's a pain in the ass anyway (until ASOP is released.) That leaves GB...EVERYTHING WORKS! REALLY, REALLY WELL..CM7nightlies (NOT phiremod) and an OC kernel are all you need...You WILL run quadrants of 2600-2700 WITHOUT photoshop, bluetooth, wifitether, HD youtube, all that WORKS! WHY would you dualboot??????

5. DenverCZBob

DenverCZBob Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    We have my wife's NC running CM7 off the SD card. Works pretty good. Also has a menu that comes up when you start up to choose to boot internally which is the stock un-rooted NC. She likes it that way so she can still do all the things with B&N that you can't do with GB. (Self readers I think).

-bob

6. HckrAdm2005

HckrAdm2005 Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    why daul boot? Because I can and was interested in trying it. Mazook you need to take a zanex or something and chill out holy crap. Just because someone wants to do something different then what you think doesn't mean you can go bonkers and flame about it.

Thank you DenverCZbob for the info. I will keep that in mind with CM7 with the SD card.

hewitts likes this.
  7. Valkerie

Valkerie Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Why not Phiremod?

8. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    B/C he wants the latest and greatest. :D

I run nightlies in Firefox, but don't need to update my NC that often. It's not that often where you can see much change in one week of development. :D

Phiremod is great for newbies and anyone else who wants an easy install. You can still theme it if you want a different look. Besides Phiremod gets updated often enough to keep me happy too.

Phiremod is based on CM7 so nightlies could be installed over it if you liked.

9. bikercr

bikercr Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Reason for dual boot is to preserve stock nook functions including the ability to buy and read magazines. Dual boot with cm7 is working great for me.

gsutton likes this.
  10. jbk1947

jbk1947 Lurker
    None

May 22, 2011
    I have CM7 on a microSD card & its working fine on the Nookcolor & I have installed the marketplace but when I go to install any apps it's taking forwever to download & install them & then I can't find them anywhere. I go back to My apps & it shows the Kindle in downloads but when I click on it it just starts to reinstall it. Can someone please tell me how to get the Kindle app downloaded & installed on my dual book Nookcolor. Thank you.

11. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    CPA
    Irvine, CA
    I just installed dual boot last night and it is working, but... stock Nook does not see the files (free ebooks, photos, videos, PDFs etc) on the CM7 SD card. I assume that is to be expected, but is there a way to access these folders and files (My Files) in either boot? Thanks.