• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dual Core vs Single Core + Apps

ZingXao

Mar 11, 2011
Alright, so I've made a lot of threads relating to whether I should buy the Incredible S or the Nexus S. As it stands, I'm gonna get the Incredible S, since the actual physical stores still have them in stock. Just gotta buy it before the sales end.

Anyway, as you probably know, It's a 1GHz single core Snapdragon CPU. And no doubt you all know that dual core phones are available as well, and I'm pretty sure quad core phones are also available.

So, you've probably seen threads like this before.. so bear with me, lol.

My question is though, over the next couple of years, are apps/internet browsing etc. going to only be able to be used by dual core+ phones?

Or, since many people will be going into 2 year contracts with single core phones, will developers still cater for those who use single core CPU's. I'm not talking about hardcore 3D intensive games, I'm just talking about all the other apps that are available. Yeah, when I get my phone, I'll no doubt put a couple of games on; I've bought Fruit Ninja and Doodle Jump for my Optimus One, but I'll no doubt join in the craze and get Angry Birds etc.

But yeah, my question is, when I've bought my single core 1GHz HTC Incredible S, will I get about two years of being able to use it smoothly with apps and the like? Are dual core phones being catered for more so than single core CPU's?

Thanks.

For apps to exploit dual cores, some level of parallelism must be thought out and tasks assigned to what we call threads (think of thread like part of the app, a thread for the screen, a thread for calculations, sort of like that), and managed in a certain way.

Once upon a time, that was an advanced concept but anymore is the way all better apps are written.

That's why so many apps were good to go, no changes needed, when dual cores hit.

Doesn't matter what you buy today, someday everything is obsolete.

But the basic Android design gives you a lot of future protection already.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
for fast single core like the one in the incr S.... they are fine with NON - Graphic intense apps.

productivity apps will be fine on this phone for at least 3 yrs. they dont put a lot of graphic ..3D or textureing in .. apps like Travel or Words Docs...

high end games.. are going to be a problem! :p

internet should be fine... again.. they dont do a lot of graphics there.. mostly data download will be your bottleneck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones