• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dual SIM support by AT&T

Tony Hasler

Lurker
Dec 17, 2021
I recently went into and AT&T shop with a Nokia 4.2 and a Motorola G6 both of which had UK SIMs in the primary slot. I asked to have two AT&T prepay SIMs placed in the other slots. The salesman stated that AT&T do not support dual sims when the phone uses 3g features.

Is this for real? How can you tell if a phone advertises "dual sim" if you can actually use it?

I am not sure, as I have never used dual SIM devices.

But if the devices are unlocked and the SIM cards work independently of each other, then I don't see why there would be a problem.

Maybe try again, but skip telling the salesperson anything about the other SIM cards.

These folks are often pretty low on the food chain, and can be confused easily.

See if the device works on the AT&T system with their SIM in it, and then put the other SIM in when you are somewhere else.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I recently went into and AT&T shop with a Nokia 4.2 and a Motorola G6 both of which had UK SIMs in the primary slot. I asked to have two AT&T prepay SIMs placed in the other slots. The salesman stated that AT&T do not support dual sims when the phone uses 3g features.

Is this for real? How can you tell if a phone advertises "dual sim" if you can actually use it?

I believe that US carriers only activate and register phones that they sell, or are approved by them.
For AT&T, check their BYOD page.
https://www.att.com/wireless/byod/
Dual-SIM phones are usually only for Asia and Europe, and so may not be usable with carriers in the US.

UK carriers on the other hand, will usually work with any dual-SIM phones you've got, provided they're unlocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones