1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Due for an upgrade. What do i go for. Help needed

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by yaser alsokary, Jul 17, 2016.

?

Which phone should i go for? (Read Post first please)

1. OnePlus 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Galaxy S7

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. yaser alsokary

None

Jul 17, 2016
    Male
    I am currently using the Galaxy S5 (I know it's been a while) I would like some help on what to choose. I am currently looking at 2 handsets OnePlus 3 and the Galaxy S7 Here's some info on what i Mostly use my phone for:

• Texting
    • Browsing
    • Watching videos on YouTube
    • Light gaming on the way to work like Subway surfers.
    Also i have been reading some benchmarks and in most the OnePlus 3 is beating the S7 but most people are saying that they don't make a difference can someone elaborate or even debunk this?

Another thing. The Samsung S5 i have has a Quad-core 2500MHz Krait 400 but the OnePlus 3 has only got Quad-core, 2200 MHz, Kryo, 64-bit. Can someone explain to me the difference and does the s5 have a better processor.

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Welcome to Android Forums!

Not sure what your budget is. The Motorola Moto X Pure Edition is a perfectly capable device. If money is no object, you might want to wait until the Samsung Unpacked event on August 2nd at 11AM Eastern Time to see what the Note7 offers.

3. yaser alsokary

None

Jul 17, 2016
    Male
    Hi there and thanks!

It does seem like a great phone the Moto X Style as it is called here in the UK but for the same price i can get the OnePlus 3 which has better specs not including the camera of course

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I have no experience with the OnePlus 3 but if it works for you, that's great :)

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Both models appear to have some plus aspects over the other, here's a nice tabular comparison of the two:
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/OnePlus-3,Samsung Galaxy S7/phones/10017,9817
    But note this is only showing you factual data, it's without context. For example, the OnePlus may have a higher res camera, 16 MB compared to the S7's 12 MB camera, but Samsung has arguably better camera firmware so a lot of reviewers consider the S7 camera to be better overall. Also the S7 has a substantially higher screen resolution but it also has a significantly higher price tag, and the comparisons can go on and on. You've already narrowed things down to two solid choices, you just have to pick and choose what features are the most important to you. As for those other reviews and benchmarks you referred to, it doesn't hurt and can only help to accumulate other opinions but don't forget that other people's priorities may not necessarily be the same as yours. Focus on which phone would meet your needs best.

6. Camp Smith

Camp Smith Member
    None

Jun 15, 2015
    If you like the samsung interface, I would stick with the S7

7. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    I voted for the S7. Give Samsung another couple of years then see if OnePlus is still around for your next upgrade.

8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, the OnePlus3 has the better processor. Quite a bit better. You are comparing Qualcomm's current flagship processor (the Snapdragon 820, used in the OnePlus 3) with their equivalent chip from 2 years ago (the Snapdragon 801 in the S5).

SoC comparisons aren't simple because there are many factors to consider, most of which don't figure in these "headline" numbers. But if we leave those aside and just consider the things you quoted, the core architecture, maximum clock speed and number of cores, the most important of these is the core architecture. Put simply, if you run a Kryo core and a Krait 400 at the same clock speed the Kryo will be considerably faster, much more so than the difference in peak clock speed can make up for. Then you need to remember that for graphics the Snapdragon 820 has a much more powerful gpu than the Snapdragon 801. It also has a more advanced LTE modem than the 801.

Of course there's more to it than just the SoC, it matters how the device overall is designed and integrated. But purely comparing SoCs there's no question that the newer processor is better than the older one.

Saying all of that, the usage you describe isn't going to tax either processor.

chanchan05 likes this.
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Don't look at the numbers on the processor because to the average layman you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. A nice example is a 4th Gen i5 on a PC vs a 1st Gen. A 1.6Ghz dual core 4th Gen i5 is much faster than a 2.5Ghz 1st Gen dual core i5. Because you have to take into account newer technology used.

And yes benchmarks don't really mean much in real life. The reason why the OnePlus is beating an S7 with the same processor in benchmarks is that it has an inferior screen. There are less pixels for the processor to, well, process. That allows it to do faster on benchmark tests which push processors to the limit. However, for everyday tasks, the performance should be the same, and you'll have to make do with whatever else the OnePlus sacrificed to get the S7 chip on the phone yet have half the price. You actually have an option on the S7 to project games onto the screen with lesser resolution to get better performance in gaming.

Overall the S7 is one of the best phones on the market across the board. But if you want the performance but on a budget, get a OnePlus 3.

Hadron likes this.
  10. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    For me, it is the "apparent speed" while it is in my hands.

I have two Galaxy S5 phones and used mine ( wife has the other ) for almost two years.
    I have 73 y/o tired eyes and needed a bigger screen/fonts.

I found a Note 4 of about the same age as my S5, but the "apparent speed" of that thing is about 4 to 1 over the S5.
    I noticed it was quicker right away, but got used to it fast.... and then the unthinkable happened.

I left my Note 4 on the truck dash in bright sun too long and it died, as in it won't turn on anymore.

I sulked until we reached our hotel that night, looked in my fanny pack and found relief!!
    yes, I still had the old S5 laying in the bottom of my Emergency Kit for what ails a stupid dumb old retired IT tech.... it seems those of us who have been around IT for many decades always prepare for the unplanned....

I pulled the SIM card out of the dead Note 4 and plugged it into the old, but sleeping S5.
    turned it on, and it fired right up just like it had never been asleep the past 8 months...

but, right away, I noticed "how slow it is".....

the numbers just don't tell it all, you have to try them out in your hands and see which one feels best to you.

dontpanicbobby likes this.