1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Duh!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by burt, Apr 24, 2010.

1. burt

burt New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Birmingham, UK
    Three days into Android, via a HTC Desire, and I'm a convert - great OS backed up by an open, friendly community - got my head around most things by trial/error/forums, but there's one thing: I'm OCD about keeping my OSs supertidy, so the preloaded Orange branded HTC is a pain, as its got a load of URL/program shortcuts for stuff I'll never use; games, pay-subscribe traffic apps, etc - thing is, they have no uninstallers, or even the sledgehammer of a delete - they just sit there in my manage applications list mocking me! Tried a couple of third party uninstallers, but these just scan the installed apps for ones with uninstallers, something I can do by hand....

I'm sure there's a nice easy way of getting rid of these objects, but I wanted to check with people who know what they're doing first - I've got a 3rd party FS explorer, OI, which I can hit the FS of the phone, where I can see .apk and .opex files for the offending apps, so a question:

1) What are the consequences of deleting both files in Android? Orphaned objects elsewhere, etc...

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    I think you'll need to root your Desire to get rid of the standard stuff on the ROM. There's no root option available yet for the Desire, as far as I know, but keep an eye on the forums and something will come up soon enough.

3. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Student (Law)
    Belgium
  4. burt

burt New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Birmingham, UK
    It's a moot point anyway; I can't delete the file with the access granted to the OI file manager. I guess I'll have to root it...

Thanks anyway!

Tags: