1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

dumb question about unlocking

Discussion in 'Metro PCS' started by MrLaserman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. MrLaserman

MrLaserman Well-Known Member

Ok so here is a dumb question for you. when does one get a phone unlocked? Can an inactive phone be unlocked? or does it have to be active? sorry, older and not really that knowledgeable.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Kid09

Kid09 Android Enthusiast

That's not a dumb question, most phones do not need to be active to be unlocked. Make sure it isn't blacklisted, so I would say check the IMEI is clean.

MrLaserman likes this.
  3. confed

confed Android Expert

Do you have a specific phone in mind? We might be able to give more info.

4. MrLaserman

I have a MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy Exhibit I used for a year and a half (bought new from MetroPCS) that is no longer active just sitting here and thought maybe I'd use it with my pay as you go Tmobile sim card to replace the phone the sim card is currently in which is an older basic phone. I looked at the prepaidphonenews web site which seems to indicate a phone has to be active but I could be wrong on how I read it.

5. MrLaserman

If I cannot do what I was thinking of doing I can still use the phone as a wifi only device using google hangouts for calls here at home. The Exhibit is still in good working order.

6. the hulk

the hulk Android Enthusiast

you could switch back to it, then call metro for the unlock code and i think they can text it or email it to you

MrLaserman likes this.
  7. MrLaserman

Had not thought of that. Thanks!