• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dumb Question-best unroot

What is the best way to unroot? Two reasons-- 1) I gave it to my wife and she just wants a phone to use, not to play with and 2) I need to take it in to Sprint for a screen issue.

How should I back up so I don't lose all the settings/data?

Do I need to make it "factory" to not anger the gods of Sprint?

Thanks,
BMB

Easiest way is to make a Nandroid and then flash the Ruu back on, but you will have to root again once you get it back to put your Nandroid back, your other option is if you made a Nandroid of your stock rooted Rom, then you can simply restore that, then unroot from there depending on how you rooted, take it in to sprint, then once you get it back, you can either stay that way or root again and then restore your Nandroid

What is the best way to unroot? Two reasons-- 1) I gave it to my wife and she just wants a phone to use, not to play with and 2) I need to take it in to Sprint for a screen issue.

How should I back up so I don't lose all the settings/data?

Do I need to make it "factory" to not anger the gods of Sprint?

Thanks,
BMB

Upvote 0
Easiest way is to make a Nandroid and then flash the Ruu back on, but you will have to root again once you get it back to put your Nandroid back, your other option is if you made a Nandroid of your stock rooted Rom, then you can simply restore that, then unroot from there depending on how you rooted, take it in to sprint, then once you get it back, you can either stay that way or root again and then restore your Nandroid
you say "depending on how you rooted", I used z4root to gain root access and make a nandroid of my stock. If I boot back to that nandroid (stock 2.1), is there a clever way to un-root?

Upvote 0
I have not tried Z4Root but I think once you Nandroid back to your Stock root Z4Root has a once click option to unroot

you say "depending on how you rooted", I used z4root to gain root access and make a nandroid of my stock. If I boot back to that nandroid (stock 2.1), is there a clever way to un-root?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones