• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dumb Question (Theme Vs ROM) which has become misc theme stuff

tgulch22

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2010
Perrysburg, OH
Ok what is the difference between a ROM and a theme.

I am still new to the rooting of the SF, and with my eris all I had to worry about was ROMs.

I have Dl09 Stupid fast 12.19 kernel and Dl09 radio, and currently running superdark v1. Was looking around to try out some other roms and stuff, and see themes and ROMs listed separately, what is the difference?

What I THINK the difference is is that TW is used and the theme just changes the apperance, while a ROM is a complete UI change

I am still new to the rooting of the SF, and with my eris all I had to worry about was ROMs.

I have Dl09 Stupid fast 12.19 kernel and Dl09 radio, and currently running superdark v1. Was looking around to try out some other roms and stuff, and see themes and ROMs listed separately, what is the difference?

What I THINK the difference is is that TW is used and the theme just changes the apperance, while a ROM is a complete UI change

a rom changes multiple aspects of the system from performance tweaks to ui changes...a theme just changes how apps/framework look (although we do package mods into them)

Upvote 0

Ok, I am no expert but... the Rom changes the whole system and a theme, as you said changes the appearance of the rom in some ways. It will make the settings, dialer, pull down shade, font, overall color different. They all include different battery meters and such and different looking toggles, just look at the screen shots of the different themes to see what you like. All you need to do to flash a theme is clear cache and then flash it in cwr, right over the rom. Then, if you want to try a different one, you clear cace and flash a different one. the only issue I ever had was when I flashed Nitsuj's red theme, there was soooo much red in it that when I flashed something different it didn't cover up all the red. There was a stock theme that I found and flashed and that cleared it up. Make sense? It makes the phone look so much better than what stock offers. I just flashed Nit's Revolution theme and it is sweet! Also loved his purple and My all time fav is Superdark. All those are available for dj05 and dj09 (dj09 may require you flash a "theme fix?")

Upvote 0
And of course each ROM includes a base theme, but you should not choose a ROM by how it looks because you can change that with themes installed afterward. (On the other hand, you may like how it looks better than any theme.) Since few themes change the appearance of everything, the same theme may look different on different ROMs, and sometimes themes can be stacked. For example, if I find a theme I like but that doesn't change the appearance of everything I want it too, I can load a more comprehensive theme first, and then load the one that changes fewer things over that. And I use ADW, so sometimes I load an ADWtheme on top of that to change just the dock and icons. And then I fine-tune the icon pictures that don't match with icons from other ADW themes, lol.

Upvote 0
I have been playing with some Dl09 ROMs and themes, and ran into something interesting. Swype FC's. I THINK it is because I installed a ROM that doesnt include swype and then the theme I installed used swype..but I am not sure. IF I were to stick with one of those ROMs, where can I get the swype apk to install it back into that rom?

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with super clean and superdark theme. The theme uses an older version of swype. Go into the theme and remove the swype apk and you should be good to go. Don't unzip, just open, remove the apk, close it and put it on your sd card, and flash!

Have you ever tried to flash over SuperDark? I am on Dj05 Super Clean, Super Dark theme, and I haven't changed it in a long time. I was superdark before I went Voodoo5. Today, I decided to flash some new themes. I tried the DJ05 midnight theme, flashed it in Red Recovery, and then rebooted.........and nothing. nothing changed.

I had zero problems flashing themes before in green recovery before Voodoo5. Any idea why this might have happened?

Upvote 0
Ok well since we are getting into changing themes, how do we change the font in a theme. I have found some themes that have a font file in the zip, can we just change the font that is in there with an apk of the font we want? or if there is no font file, can we add one with said apk in it?

If we do that do we have to rezip it? if we rezip it then will it work or do we have to sign it and all of that (if that is the case it is WAY beyond my abilities)

Upvote 0
All I can recommend if searching for "flashable fonts" in the root forum, specifically the matted blue dj05 theme thread. Kaessa has some flashable fonts that you can flash right over a theme. I used one in particular, the others I liked were way too small and difficult to read. In 2.2 it if an option to change the fonts in settings and the dl30 version of superdark theme, there is a font pack available or you can get them from the market.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have been playing with some Dl09 ROMs and themes, and ran into something interesting. Swype FC's. I THINK it is because I installed a ROM that doesnt include swype and then the theme I installed used swype..but I am not sure. IF I were to stick with one of those ROMs, where can I get the swype apk to install it back into that rom?
Did you get your swype problem worked out?

Upvote 0
I havent tried it again since. I Restored back to my Dj05 ROM (dark something) and spent all night trying to flash the midnight theme and got FC hell from it...so I spent most the night playing with that.

I had to fly out to the island for work this week, and all my ROM's and themes and stuff were on my desktop so I am in the process of downloading them again.

Gonna try some Dl09 ROMs and some new themes...and will do the swype thing in those.

Upvote 0
Reactions: karib
Upvote 0
A rom is your operating system. Theme is colored stuff. Think of it this way, rom=car...kernel=engine...theme=paint job. I stole that from saps!
Kinda a late response but you got that from nitsuj17 not me :p
Even if I said it at somepoint I stole it from him.:D I think he stole it from someone else too though so its all good. It is a terrific analogy and one most people understand

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones