• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dumb Questions

sprtsfanmm

Aug 18, 2010
I have been rooted running ZapX for a couple weeks and have started to get random reboots. I have two questions:

1) To install a new ROM do I need to wipe date/system/cache or just install over the current ROM?

2) This is bloat related: If I freeze the bloat with TiBu does it unfreeze when I change ROMS? Is it better to just remove the bloat? Will flashing SBF return the bloat if it is done?

Thanks for your help.

1.) depends on the ROM. The particular ROMs installation method will tell you what to do. Like for fission you have to wipe data/cache and if you're coming from another ROM it's suggested to SBF.
2.) Depends on whether or not that ROM has that app as part of that package. An SBF will restore all system apps just like the day you opened it to find blur on it.

Reactions: sprtsfanmm
Upvote 0
1.) depends on the ROM. The particular ROMs installation method will tell you what to do. Like for fission you have to wipe data/cache and if you're coming from another ROM it's suggested to SBF.

Check the update: fission 2.1. The recommendation to SBF is not there anymore. I installed it (not currently using it, but I have it as a backup) without sbf fine, fyi. Yeah, there are new directions.. It's a bit easier. Correct me if I'm wrong. I usually am. ;)

Upvote 0
Check the update: fission 2.1. The recommendation to SBF is not there anymore. I installed it (not currently using it, but I have it as a backup) without sbf fine, fyi. Yeah, there are new directions.. It's a bit easier. Correct me if I'm wrong. I usually am. ;)

You are correct but they do suggest installing from a clean point as I always do anyway with a backup I made just after the point of root and bootstrap installation.
..if I did not have that clean backup then I would definitely sbf

Upvote 0

Yeah I didn't SBF either but the recommendation is still there under Pre installation tasks. He only suggests it if you're coming from another ROM other than OEM. And yeah the install instructions changed. The whole wipe battery stats and dalvik cache?? dunno lol. I got the early update link from them and these instructions weren't there so I didn't do them and I'm running it just fine! What are you running then??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones