• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dumb Republicans

Of course there was always this flag that flew for a short time in Florida
Barack-Obama-American-Flag.jpg
:rolleyes:

I found the flag to be insulting. Obama should never be displayed on the American flag. If they want to put his face on a flag, I suggest a pirate flag would be a better choice.

Upvote 0
actually while I would agree that manipulating the flag is highly distasteful, especially by someone who is supposed to be the most distinguished representative of the flag...... this is not something that hasnt happened by every candidate before..... nor is it illegal

if we were to follow the letter or intent of the law as written then 99.9% of American business would be shutdown....... not to mention an overwhelming majority of its American citizens would be criminals

have you never used a napkin that has stars and strips on it? you own no article of clothing that has a flag on it? there have been star spangled bikinis for years....... most companies use the flag in advertisement at some point or another...... and the USSC has already stated that none of these things are illegal....... hell you can spit on and burn the flag in the center of town if you like..... not illegal

you can view this from different perspectives of course....... and mine is that its very disrespectful and a lack of pride and/or honor..... but not illegal

I guess you have to ask yourself this...... what kind of statement does it make that if a candidate has no respect for the flag and openly shows it....... and a citizen who claims to respect the flag yet openly supports the candidates position of disrespect by giving them their vote..... who is really worse here?

this is like the parent who wont discipline their 5 year old for spitting on other children....... is it the kids fault or the parents?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to become a more honest political creature. I'm trying to at least understand the other side's point of view. I've learned that the people who go to the ballot and cancel out my vote...are sincere people who think that they're voting for the good of the country.

But, dear Lord, politicians on both sides of the aisle can be so freakin' stupid.
And we can find the dumbest memes to sling against the other party.
Heck, my state (Kansas) considered dropping Mr. Obama off of the ballot last week.

Nobody canceled out your vote.

I vote, they vote, you vote and a winner is declared after the votes are tallied and some votes are lost and a the votes from illegals are added to the pile and the voting machines are reprogrammed and Move On dot org has settled the bills for the votes they paid good money for and the press declares that Obama is the winner because he is bringing back the free cheese and jobs for everyone and the Black Panthers "convince" people to elect obama.

We are not done with obama becaue Congress wll pave the way for our first King, so you will not ned to vote ever again.

See . . . your vote counts for now, dag nabbit.

Upvote 0
actually while I would agree that manipulating the flag is highly distasteful, especially by someone who is supposed to be the most distinguished representative of the flag...... this is not something that hasnt happened by every candidate before..... nor is it illegal

if we were to follow the letter or intent of the law as written then 99.9% of American business would be shutdown....... not to mention an overwhelming majority of its American citizens would be criminals

have you never used a napkin that has stars and strips on it? you own no article of clothing that has a flag on it? there have been star spangled bikinis for years....... most companies use the flag in advertisement at some point or another...... and the USSC has already stated that none of these things are illegal....... hell you can spit on and burn the flag in the center of town if you like..... not illegal

you can view this from different perspectives of course....... and mine is that its very disrespectful and a lack of pride and/or honor..... but not illegal

I guess you have to ask yourself this...... what kind of statement does it make that if a candidate has no respect for the flag and openly shows it....... and a citizen who claims to respect the flag yet openly supports the candidates position of disrespect by giving them their vote..... who is really worse here?

this is like the parent who wont discipline their 5 year old for spitting on other children....... is it the kids fault or the parents?

Does not matter if it is legal. Using the flag to sell crap is something I als disagree with because the flag--to some/many of us--is sacred. Those who dismiss its importance do not read their history.

the world will not end if a napkin has stars on it or a woman wears a flag bikini. I do not have to like it, however.

I am not about to scream and yell and toss a tantrum over the flag issue; I just think some things deserve far more respect.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately what you delved into is a key challenge in trying to figure out the applicability of law. After all, there are flags... and there is art! The first flag I posted could be construed as Art. While it generally resembles a U.S. Flag, it has artistic elements to it. My guess is that is exactly what the Obama campaign is going to claim... they'd be crazy to do anything else.

The second flag, on the other hand, cannot be construed as anything but what it is. It is a U.S. flag with Obama's face in lieu of a field of stars.

We, as a nation, villify foreigners who take the U.S. flag and desecrate it. Yet the Obama campaign re-tools the same flag in his own image and there are some who are OK with it. Odd double standard, isn't it?

Upvote 0
I agree it deserves more respect........ but even you and I disrespect it at times...... so at the end of the day its hypocritical to disparage others when they do...... goose and gander alike need more respect

now lets all go out and buy an American flag...... made in China.......... and display it improperly to show our respect

ya know it reminds me of those who fought so hard to defend that flag.. myself included.. and their brothers in uniform so openly "violate the law" and disrespect it at sporting events every year.... I cant tell you the amount of pride I have when I go to a football game and the guys in uniform are out there spreading out the GIANT flag..... the one that takes hundreds of soldiers to hold as they stretch it out over the field...... in direct violation of federal law which clearly states it should not be carried or displayed horizontally

does this mean I should now hate the US military for disrespecting my flag? Im confused

Upvote 0
Unfortunately what you delved into is a key challenge in trying to figure out the applicability of law. After all, there are flags... and there is art! The first flag I posted could be construed as Art. While it generally resembles a U.S. Flag, it has artistic elements to it. My guess is that is exactly what the Obama campaign is going to claim... they'd be crazy to do anything else.

The second flag, on the other hand, cannot be construed as anything but what it is. It is a U.S. flag with Obama's face in lieu of a field of stars.

We, as a nation, villify foreigners who take the U.S. flag and desecrate it. Yet the Obama campaign re-tools the same flag in his own image and there are some who are OK with it. Odd double standard, isn't it?

I say protect the flag and display it properly. Just because the law says something is OK to do, that does not mean we should start doing things that are in poor taste. I think so many people lack judgment these days.

They talk about and praise the law and The Constitution if it lets them do what they want to do. They think we need more laws when it becomes inconvenient. The haters (really serious haters) of Air America wanted Limbaugh to be punished for speech AA described as hate, yet comparing AA to RL would be like comparing my grandmother to Lenny Bruce.

I see to recall Howard Stern would laugh at suicides and the people that commit suicide. When his friend tried to off himself, suddenly, it was off limits. Please correct my "facts" if they are not actually facts.

The flag is important and I think it is sad that it is not revered. I'll try to accept the flag clothing and napkins, but trashing it or putting obama on it is past the line in my view.

Upvote 0
I agree it deserves more respect........ but even you and I disrespect it at times...... so at the end of the day its hypocritical to disparage others when they do...... goose and gander alike need more respect

now lets all go out and buy an American flag...... made in China.......... and display it improperly to show our respect

ya know it reminds me of those who fought so hard to defend that flag.. myself included.. and their brothers in uniform so openly "violate the law" and disrespect it at sporting events every year.... I cant tell you the amount of pride I have when I go to a football game and the guys in uniform are out there spreading out the GIANT flag..... the one that takes hundreds of soldiers to hold as they stretch it out over the field...... in direct violation of federal law which clearly states it should not be carried or displayed horizontally

does this mean I should now hate the US military for disrespecting my flag? Im confused

I wish there were more Amrican made flags. Actually, there are many USA manufacturers of flags. Going to China is a money issue I should think.

I believe whatever most soldiers do with our flag cannot be compated to those who burn it out of anger, wipe feces on it, shread it or do other things to show hatred for their country.

Motive has lots to do with who the true disrespectors are, right?

Upvote 0

Technically, by saying or doing nothing, you passively condone and accept the practice! Sometimes it can be better to rock the boat than to go with the flow.

Where I live, it's not uncommon to be labeled a racist and have your house egged for displaying a U.S. Flag. On the other hand, fly a Mexican flag and new friends will come out of the woodwork. And, by the way, this is 200+ miles North of the Mexican border... Guess which flag I fly in front of my house??? ;)

Upvote 0
regardless of opinions on the flag..... in this case it should be pretty obvious to everyone that there are no ramifications for the Obama campaign

if you believe what he has done to be a serious problem...... you probably werent going to vote for him with or without the flag...... he hasnt increased your negative opinion in a manner which switched your vote..... on the other hand if it encourages those who have no problem with it to believe hes more patriotic then theres a chance they may vote for him

in this regard hes playing off the exact came sentiment that Romney spoke of in his much maligned video recently released about the 47%

Obama isnt trying to impress the people who arent going to vote for him anyway....... he doesnt care about campaigning to you....... theres no logical reason for him to do anything in his campaign that you like...... you arent going to vote for him anyway

does that mean he doesnt care about you as a citizen.... I dont think it has anything to do with it...... its a campaign.... hes campaigning to people he may have a chance of garnering votes from

as for the flag in general....... as I said..... or at least tried to convey...... this certainly isnt the worst useage we have seen of our flag..... and it carries no legal ramifications

at what point do you say enough is enough..... is it right at the threshold of hypocrisy??

its ok to disrespect our flag in one fashion but not another depending on who is doing it?

its ok to use our flag for some purposes specifically denounced in the law but not others?

if you believe we have to follow the letter of the law in regards to the flag then be prepared to rarely see it....... according to the law there are very strict limits on when/where/how it may be displayed

is there a degree to disrespecting the flag? if one person urinates on it while another simply writs the word "DIE" across the flag is this different? if one person drops it on the ground while another displays it incorrectly is this different? if one person uses the flag without desecrating it as a backdrop to their campaign while another uses an artists rendition with his logo is this different?

next are we going to say you cannot combine the colors red/white/blue together without it being a flag

at what point exactly does patriotism end and disrespect begin?

as I said earlier....... every one of us has disrespected the flag in some fashion at some point.... whats that old saying about sin and stones?

Upvote 0
the Black Panthers "convince" people to elect obama.

We are not done with obama becaue Congress wll pave the way for our first King, so you will not ned to vote ever again.
What Black Panthers? They haven't been active since the late '70s.

Nope, Obama will be the second King, George was the first. And it's interesting how Obama face on a flag causes more people to be upset than when Bush was outright given the presidency his first term by the conservative US Supreme Court.

Very interesting!

Upvote 0
What Black Panthers? They haven't been active since the late '70s.

Nope, Obama will be the second King, George was the first. And it's interesting how Obama face on a flag causes more people to be upset than when Bush was outright given the presidency his first term by the conservative US Supreme Court.

Very interesting!

Bush won the electoral college. Just saying.

Upvote 0

Flag of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The modern meaning of the flag was forged in December 1860 when Major Robert Anderson, acting without orders, moved the U.S. garrison from Fort Moultrie to Fort Sumter, in Charleston Harbor, in defiance of the power of the new Confederate States of America. Adam Goodheart argues this was the opening move of the Civil War, and the flag was used throughout the North to symbolize American nationalism and rejection of secessionism.
Before that day, the flag had served mostly as a military ensign or a convenient marking of American territory, flown from forts, embassies, and ships, and displayed on special occasions like the Fourth of July. But in the weeks after Major Anderson's surprising stand, it became something different. Suddenly the Stars and Stripes flew​

Upvote 0
Let me know when the conservatives begin to riot at the Lincoln Memoral, so I'll have my popcorn ready.

The U.S. Flag code was passed in 1924 or so. The flag you reference was created in 1860. Hopefully you are aware that Federal law isn't retroactive to something that happened 60+ years prior to it being enacted... ;)

Upvote 0
Just goes to prove that dumb decisions can be made on either side of the aisle. Defacing the American Flag for purposes of advertising is a violation of Federal law.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/04C1.txt

Oh well... A low level campaign staffer will likely get blamed for this!

Of course there was always this flag that flew for a short time in Florida
Barack-Obama-American-Flag.jpg
:rolleyes:

Note the lack of any white stars in a blue field. Flag Code concerns a U.S. Flag, which this image or the actual "Obama" Flag displayed at a Democratic Party building in central Florida is not.

United States Flag Code - Wikisource, the free online library

Upvote 0
Where I live, it's not uncommon to be labeled a racist and have your house egged for displaying a U.S. Flag.
Well, you see the issue here is that many of the most fervent flag wavers were/are racist.
Just as you will rarely see Irish flags in Ireland (terrorists), or German flags (Nazis, different flag but y'know), etc.

Anyway, I found the constant American flag barrage a bit nauseating. I can easily see tourists not realising that America has states.

Upvote 0
Well, you see the issue here is that many of the most fervent flag wavers were/are racist.
Just as you will rarely see Irish flags in Ireland (terrorists), or German flags (Nazis, different flag but y'know), etc.

Anyway, I found the constant American flag barrage a bit nauseating. I can easily see tourists not realising that America has states.

And apparently you have not spent much time in Mexico nor been to a Mexican celebration! :p

Flags and banners are all over the place! The Mexican people, as an example, are VERY NATIONALISTIC! Before elections in Mexico, you see banners running across boulevards and giant images of the candidates displayed on the sides of buildings. So based on your assessment Mexicans most must be racists!

Good thing you live over on the other side of the pond EN... cause those words would get you in serious trouble with many proud Mexican people. They will be the first to tell you that they are not, by any means, racist. They are, on the other hand, proud of their heritage... and their nation!

Oh, and according to the Internet (which we know MUST be right), only caucasian people can be racist! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones