1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

dumbphone user looking for android answers

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by extendedping, Apr 25, 2010.

1. extendedping

extendedping New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi all, I recently dumped microsoft and moved to linux for my home pc and like it. well, moving forward I guess it is time I get a smart phone. there is so much info on google I don't really know where to start so I thought I would join here and post. first off I am in new york city and using sprint but am willing to carrier hop to get the right phone. things I want...

1) hardware keyboard--looks like the new stuff (samsung galaxy s, htc evo) are all software based. I guess I could be sold on this but a great keyboard would be great. have I missed an upcoming release? with a keyboard? I am not really interested in droid as I want the newest best phone (the computer aspect is more important then the phone aspect to me).

2) good battery life.

3) decent sized screen (like 4 inches or more across).

4) screen good for reading outside. I just read bout something called amoled, was wondering if anyone here has used it and can give a comparison to a regular old screen.

5) (not really phone but app specific question), thoughts on ssh programs for android. since I am learning linux I really need to have a good way to access my home pc. I have been running ssh -X on port 443 (to get through to my home pc from starbucks) and I need to have this functionality (forwarding of X graphical apps and use of non default port) to keep learning linux from the road. so can android do this. I know connect bot is a ssh but how good is it?

thanks in advance I know these are kind of open ended questions, really I would love to know if a killer phone with a physical keyboard and amoled was in the works, if so my google search has not turned it up. I think I really want a little netbook with a phone in it :) I know i could get a n900 but I have heard that battery stinks and apps are limited. it would be nice to have an actual linux shell in my pocket, but again with a good ssh client I guess that would not be necessary. thanks for listening.

Advertisement