1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Dumping the T-Bolt...too many issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dyezak, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Well, after a month of using the Thunderbolt and uncovering more bugs, issues, flaws, and problems than I could have ever imagined it's time to move on. I came from blackberries and flaws were few and even though functionality was lacking, whatever the phone was designed to do...it did it.

Here's my issues:

1. Battery. I've used tools, research, rooting, other ROMs, etc, and at BEST gotten "odd" battery usage. Some times it's ok. This morning I went from 7am till 12pm and only dropped to 70%. Between 12pm to 1:30pm my battery dropped to 9%. I mean what the ****? It was sitting on my desk the entire time...idle. And it just says "Android System" as using the resources...rediculous.

2. System Slowdown. If I don't reboot my phone once a day it slows down to a crawl. Even switching screens from one home screen to another is basically impossible. I reboot and everything is good for the next day or so.

3. Crashes. HAHAHA, I can almost guarantee that if I don't reboot my phone once a day that texting will crash my phone. Worst part is that it takes 5-10min of being frozen to actually crash. Things that have crashed my phone: Text Messaging, dialing a phone number, answering a phone call, and voice control (a lot).

4. Complete system shutdowns. Happened twice now, but the phone just shuts itself down. I have no clue why.

5. Navigation/GPS issues. I travel a lot, and once I got the phone I stopped carrying my GPS and relied on Mr Android. But oh Mr. Android doesn't like to do GPS. I've tried GPS Status fix, rebooting, rooting, custom/different ROM's...nothing. I absolutely HATE my phone every time I need to use GPS.

6. Poor; no, absolutely shitty build quality. I bought my phone and put a screen protector and silicone case on it imediately. Thank God I did. I feel that the thing may have fallen appart in the past 30 days if I haven't. The battery door doesn't fit properly and sqeeks non stop. The coating on the kickstand is flaking off. Light bleed from the capacitive buttons. Volume buttons have no tactile feedback and get pressed accidentally all the time turning my ringer off.

7. Lagg during typing. Why does the keyboard lag out in webpages, and sometimes during texting? Stupid.

8. HOT!! After using my phone for about an hour I almost can't touch it. Heat is a byproduct of electricity being used. Seems really efficient.

I'm not paying $310 for a phone, locking myself into a contract, and paying $150/mo for a year to be a beta tester for HTC and Verizon. After work I'm going by the Verizon store and seeing what they can do for me...but I have got to leave with something other than the Thunderbolt.

:mad::mad::mad:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thorthunderblt

thorthunderblt Android Enthusiast

No reason to try and talk you out of it. So good luck cell phone hunting.

dmassaiii and redraider1 like this.
  3. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

And you felt you had to bitch, why? If it isn't for you, just quietly leave.

4. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Android Enthusiast

I'm sorry you're having these issues with the phone! Most, if not all of those issues of yours are not being experience by myself, so it makes me think you may have a bunk phone. Sadly, it happens and all it does is piss the owner off. It sucks you won't try to exchange the phone for hopefully a working device, but good luck with whatever phone you get, and I hope it works for your needs!!!

*EDIT* I feel like a Verizon customer service rep in a way.....lol

dmassaiii likes this.
  5. BDBMike

BDBMike Newbie

Sorry to hear you're not liking the phone, maybe you got a lemon? After 2 weeks of using:

1. Even before rooting I was seeing 8-10 hours battery life, after I'm seeing about 20 with moderate use.

2. Never seen a slowdown except for a few seconds after a manual restart.

3. Never had a crash, even when downloading 5+ apps at once.

4. Haven't experienced this yet.

5. I haven't used navigation extensively, but when I do it works perfectly.

6. I've noticed a little ware on the edge of the kickstand, but other than that it seems like decent build quality.

7. Never experienced lag during typing

8. I've heard of this issue but only have experienced the phone getting WARM when I'm using it on the charger, but never hot.

dmassaiii likes this.
  6. jr313

jr313 Well-Known Member

DUECES!!!!! O and ur past ur 14 day return window so u might as well it for what u can...

7. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

I bet not once did he call customer service to try and resolve these issues. So cant feel sorry for ya there bub. The battery life has been known for years with android devices starting with the Moto Droid. So why are people shocked when they get poor battery life from getting an android device? Do they expect the one they buy will be special and have great battery life? You dont buy a Corvette for fuel economy.

I love how some of these people thinks of their cellphones are jewelry or pieces of art. Are you expecting to enter your phone in to a contest and win best in show. Not once have I ever had a person say wow your cellphone looks immaculate. FYI my kickstand is chipping and about anyone that uses it should be chipping. I am sure no one will say man your kickstand is chipping as most the time it will be stowed and never seen as its laying flat on the surface

I am shocked you didnt talk about the ring volume being so low or the power button.

I love how people say their phone sits idle all day. It dont sit there idle. To really be idle you would need to turn it off. Who knows what apps or widgets you have running in the background.

Guess you forgot how to take your GPS with you again or if you did you couldnt gripe about how the Bolts gps dont work. :rolleyes:

Your problem is your to anal when it come to products you own. No matter what you get in the end it wont live up to your high expectations. Try working the problem with Verizon and have them send you a replacement phone and see if that works. I really see it wont make a difference as nothing makes you happy.

I hate to see how you are at dating.:eek:

dmassaiii likes this.
  8. BetaMan

BetaMan Android Enthusiast

Sounds like THAT phone. Mine doesn't have those problems. Good luck! Have a good one!

9. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast

coming from the og droid, i'm in love with my battery life. i have had 2 shut downs and maybe 3 restarts since the tbolt launched and just had a replacement sent out. can't have an unreliable alarm clock. light leak? i simply don't care about light leak. it's there, but still don't care. gps? i agree actually. when i have my spur the moment times where i wanna go somewhere new and it takes the gps forever to lock on (most of the time i just give up) plus when you have your gps on, you wanna be able to just get directions and turn it off as quick as possible seeing as how that's the biggest battery killer for me. yeah, the battery cover squeaks. bothers me too but oh well. kickstand flaking? mine did at first and seems to have flaked as much as it will from setting it down. not EVEN worth mentioning to me. if it means that much to you, just flake it all off. it's still that brushed aluminum look....let's see...what else did you complain about...*scrolls up...scrolls back down* browser lag for typing is bad. i hate going on this site on my tbolt. facebook works fine though. slow downs? i voluntarily restart my phone every few days just for peace of mind. and to say your phone is so hot you can't use it...man up. i promise you, you either have a lemon or you don't even have the phone and are trying to sabotage the tbolts image like apple fan boys do on engadget. "i got the g2x and it's soooo slow and crappy so i'm getting the iphone because it's amazing!" wait a few days and get the incredible 2. it'll get better battery due to smaller screen AND bigger battery. (50 more mah i think?) or wait til the sg2 hits.

10. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Android Enthusiast

11. djkeller3

djkeller3 Android Enthusiast

Your loss dude. Your loss.

McLabia and redraider1 like this.
  12. irish

irish Well-Known Member

Got none of those issues. Battery is a bit sketchy, but it was expected. I've owned everything from the Dinc, Fascinate and OG. This is best device thus far. You must have a turd of a phone. Exception, not the rule.

damule6666 likes this.
  13. damule6666

damule6666 Android Enthusiast

Hasta Potato!!

14. mattbirk

mattbirk Well-Known Member

If you don't like it, no reason to keep it. Let me know what they do for you since you are out of the 14 day window...I will be keeping mine, jsut curious to see what they have to say. In 2 days comes the Inc2...which seems like a solid phone, but I love my LTE wayyyyyyyyy too much.

15. Agree I dont have any of these issues either to me it seems like he hated the phone from the get go and just wanted to come bash it. I mean did you ever try and exchange it? Prob not since it seems like you would be more into the iphone.

16. mattbirk

mattbirk Well-Known Member

Just as guilty...should have just moved to the next thread if you didn't like it...just telling it like HE thinks it is...I love my TB

17. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Android Enthusiast

oh the drama!

[​IMG]

dmassaiii likes this.
  18. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast

i never understood ranting goodbye threads either, but lol at the responses. guess that's what happens when people complain and expect a box of tissues only to get directions to the exit instead.

JustinHEMI likes this.
  19. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Android Enthusiast

20. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!

Yeah...this was a fun thread...

/closed

thorthunderblt likes this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews