1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Duos] How to update my Android from ICS to Jellybean?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dakshay95, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Duos which is running on Android version 4.0.4. It can be upgradable to version 4.1 but whenever I check for software updates on my phone, it says 'No updates available'. Why does this happen? Is there any other way I can update OS? I want to update because my phone lags and crashes a lot lately even when it's idle and I don't have many apps installed.

Thanks.

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Hi dakshay, I've moved your query to the Duos root forum. If there's no official JB update yet, your only option is root so the guys here should be able to sort you out. :)

3. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

But why isn't there an update available? 4.2 is already out so why am I not able to update to 4.1? Why does my phone say 'No updates available'?

4. El Presidente

VIP Member

Because whilst 4.2 and the source code for 4.2 is available, it needs to be tweaked to work on your phone. As far as I'm aware, it's only the Nexus devices that have 4.2 at the moment. Most other phones/tabs running JB are on 4.1.x.

Your best bet is a custom ROM made by an independent dev. Unfortunately, I've had a quick look around and I can't see any JB ROMs for your device, so it looks like you're stuck on ICS for the moment, sorry :(

5. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

Is there anything I can do to stop the lagging and crashing on my phone since I've updated to 4.0.4? It happens randomly even when I'm browsing the internet or making a call. This wasn't happening before the update.

6. El Presidente

VIP Member

You could try a factory reset? I'd generally recommend that after you install a major system update.

7. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

Wouldn't a factory reset remove the firmware update? And I need to backup everything right?

8. El Presidente

VIP Member

Yeah, you'd need to back stuff up, but it wouldn't remove the firmware update.

9. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

Okay, thanks for your help :)

10. El Presidente

VIP Member

No worries! Take a look at Carbon Backup btw, that should back up most of your stuff for you. :)

11. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

I went to Settings -> Back up and reset and Back up my data and Automatic restore are checked. Should I go ahead and factory restore my phone or do I STILL have to back up the photos, music and contacts?

12. El Presidente

VIP Member

A reset shouldn't touch the SD Card, but there's certainly no harm in backing stuff like photo's etc up anyway.

As for your contacts, if you log in to your gmail account via a PC, then click contacts, do you see a list of what's on your phone?

13. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

Does Carbon Backup backup your data using Wi-Fi? I would prefer if a USB connection were used. Can I backup the data using KIES?

14. El Presidente

VIP Member

I don't know, sorry :eek:

I've never used Carbon (I'm rooted and use Titanium), I'm just going by whatever others have said.

And I think Kies has a backup option.

15. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

No, when I log on to Gmail and choose Contacts, I can only see the ones I've mailed to.

16. dakshay95

dakshay95 Newbie

I made a backup using Carbon Backup but when my Phone finished the factory reset, it starting downloading the apps all over again. How do I restore the backup I made on the PC?

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews