• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Duplicate contacts problem...

Hi. I have a Moto E6 phone with Android version 9. I inadvertently imported a second set of contacts into my phone. The phone app only shows one set of contacts, bu the contacts app shows the duplicates. I want to merge or safely remove the duplicates.

Online I see lots of articles telling me to use the merge option in the contacts app, but there is no merge option. I thought about just deleting the duplicates, but I was concerned about if this was safe. Part of my concern is that I have not just used the contacts phone numbers for calling people, but also for texting, and I was concerned that somehow if I deleted a duplicate contact that I had used to text with (the original contact that existed before I imported the duplicate), that the texts that I had created with that contact's number would be deleted as well.

As you can tell, there is a lot I don't understand about my phone, and would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Install Google contacts from the play store.
It'll clear up your duplicate contacts and save them no matter what device you are using now or in the future.
And don't worry, you'll not lose your contacts from texts only either.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at my UK Moto E6 Plus, which has some UI differences to US E6 models, and though I can't solve your issue directly...

if you open the Contacts app in the App Drawer, on the all installed apps screens) .. ... you will see a Fix and Manage button on the bottom right.

In there on my Merge and Fix tab there's nothing for me to merge but that may help. You can also Restore Contacts from other devices on the account.

Also usually using looking at your Google account pages on a full PC desk browser you generally get more options for a lot of things.

you will briefly see a large Google on the white screen as Contacts opens, though pressing on the app icon for info doesn't mention Google.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
yT555#pV744
I'm looking at my UK Moto E6 Plus, which has some UI differences to US E6 models, and though I can't solve your issue directly...

if you open the Contacts app in the App Drawer, on the all installed apps screens) .. ... you will see a Fix and Manage button on the bottom right.

In there on my Merge and Fix tab there's nothing for me to merge but that may help. You can also Restore Contacts from other devices on the account.

Also usually using looking at your Google account pages on a full PC desk browser you generally get more options for a lot of things.

you will briefly see a large Google on the white screen as Contacts opens, though pressing on the app icon for info doesn't mention Google.

Unfortunately, on my phone, in the Contacts app under Fix and Manage, it only has tabs for Import from SIM, Import from File, Export to File, and Settings. I also checked under Settings and there is no Merge and Fix there either.

Upvote 0
Install Google contacts from the play store.
It'll clear up your duplicate contacts and save them no matter what device you are using now or in the future.
And don't worry, you'll not lose your contacts from texts only either.
Google Contacts app is the app I am using.

Upvote 0
You will need to log into your google account. Once on the google site click on apps and then contacts. You will find a link to fix and merge your contacts.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks for the info!

Can you tell me why I am not getting email updates when I get responses to my posts? From what I can tell, I am "watching" this thread, which means I should get updates, doesn't it? And I checked and all the appropriate alert boxes are checked in my account info. Also, I checked and nothing is going to my spam folder.

Upvote 0
There are two places where this is setup to receive emails. The first is in Your Account, within the Preferences, automatically watch content you create and receive email notifications should be checked. Second place to check is at the top right of your thread is an option to Watch Thread and receive email notifications should be checked. I hope that this provides the emails you are anticipating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones