1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Duplicate emails from yahoo, gmail & android icon ?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Dillpickles, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi guys & ladies, new here, new to this android thing, and old as a person. I have 4 email accounts, 3 yahoo, & one gmail. They are all linked. Consequently I get duplicate emails. Because I have the yahoo, gmail, the phone's email icon active. I would like to use only one, but disabling two of these, I don't know what the result would be. If I disable gmail will I still get gmail in yahoo mail? Or the same, if I disable yahoo mail will I still get yahoo mail in gmail? I would prefer them all going to yahoo, or the email icon of the phone.

Not even sure if I am using the right terminology, disable or delete or whatever the term should be. The phone is synced to my two PC's so a mistake would catastrophic.

So I need precise instructions on how to get my emails all in one place, and only once. I expect you all will be seeing a lot of me, as I have no one else to help with the simple things you smartphone user's take for granted. Don't have access to books, or other instructional material as I reside in Thailand.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks , DP.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    What do you mean by linked? Have you got some of them forwarding to another (in which case you only need to read that one), or have you got all 3 apps set up to read all 4 accounts (in which case you could have just set one app up this way and not set the others up at all)?

3. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi Hadron, yes I have all three apps set up, each with the same email accounts, which I believe is why I get replies from all three on my phone. The question is, what to do to make only of the three active? Remove the others it from my app pages and keep the one I want to use?

DP.

#3 Dillpickles, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you have set up all 3 accounts on all 3 apps then you should be able to remove them from two of the apps, or disable the apps you don't want to use. Since disabling is easily reversible that may be the quickest option if you are unsure, but each app should be independent of the others.

5. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi Hadon, Ok disabled gmail. The phone's email icon shows no emails though there are 2 in yahoo inbox. Will let you know how the day goes.
    While I've got you, I use to have the number of emails displayed in the upper right corner of the yahoo icon, it's been gone for some time? Now only get the notification sound, and the envelopes in the notification area at the top of the display?

Thanks, I am more comfortable with disabling gmail than removing it.

DP.

#5 Dillpickles, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The little badges are generally a launcher feature. So if these are missing from one app I would check the launcher settings (or those of the notification add-on, e.g. TeslaUnread or Apex Notifier, if you are using a launcher with a separate app for this).

7. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi Hadron, I have no idea what you're talking about, or where to find it. I am pretty much using the phone as purchased. No doubt have overlapping or redundant apps installed. New to this smartphone thing, and old as a person. Just included a few apps that I find useful, ie, Messenger, Skype, a battery saver, 360 Security, All-in-one toolbox, among others, now yahoo mail with the others disabled. I may have inadvertently deleted something I thought was useless. But once upon a time they were there, with a count of numbers of inbox emails in the yahoo icon. Something I can live with, if not easily fixed.

Suggested to me as a entry level smartphone, yet still in the dark.

Thanks again.
    DP.

#7 Dillpickles, Feb 15, 2017
  8. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The launcher is the app that draws your desktops (and provides the app drawer). If you haven't installed a different one then you have the one that came with the phone, i.e. the manufacturer's one.

Badges to count unread messages are, where they exist, generally drawn on the icons by the launcher or some other app that works with it (I named a couple of examples). It's not a stock android feature.

I don't know what phone you have so don't know what features like this you have by default. But since it doesn't sound like you have installed anything like this I suggest checking your phone's desktop settings, notification settings, and the Yahoo app's own settings, and see whether you can spot something that might enable this.

(BTW that's not how my username is spelled ;))

9. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi Hadron ( Corrected previous post), It's a Galaxy Core Prime, lollipop, version 5.1.1, model, SH-G361H. Have searched setting>notification, yahoo>settings>notification, google>settings. Have found none of what you speak of.

I appreciate the time you spent. These small annoyances are something I can live with for now. I am never that far from home and PC's that it is that important, my useage is very limited. Maybe when I have better knowledge of the apps I already use, I will come across it. Feel your expertise might be better spent on some one with real issues. But I'm here, if you happen to think of something I have not done as yet.

Thanks, DP.

10. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Hmm, I do have one Samsung device (my tablet), so tried setting it to use the default launcher (Touchwiz Home) and sending myself an email (so there would be something to count), then seeing whether I could find a setting that controlled this. However, I wasn't able to find any relevant settings for this.

(Actually I did get unread count badges on my email client anyway, but it's not the stock app so that may not mean much - I've never even bothered setting up the stock Samsung email app).

11. Dillpickles

Dillpickles Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2017
    Male
    Hi Hadron, I sent a test from one of my yahoo act. to gmail, received a count badge as you call it in the sys. email icon, also send a test from one yahoo act to another, It appeared aswell. So as I figure it, I could disable the yahoo icon and just receive all emails to the sys email icon, which some friends do.

I'll see how the day goes, and come back with what I find out.

DP.

Hadron likes this.