• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Duplicate photos?

speedmomma

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
I have an HTC Amaze. I've just imported all my photos from my phone onto my computer and have come across this insanely perplexing problem....

For the majority of all my photos, there are multiples and as many as 5 times of the same photo on my computer.

The photos that I have taken WITH the phone itself are mostly the ones affected but when reviewing them in Windows Live Photo Gallery, I noticed that only 1 shows up, for example as: "IMAG0033 file and the rest that are really tiny are identified like this for ex: "10-44786221-1266319-960 - Windows Live Photo Gallery"...all the same picture.

I know that there is a folder in Gallery (on phone) that shows ALL photos, but then somehow there are other folders, for which I didn't create! I just take the pictures, download some from emails, but I've never created any other folder.

How do I stop the duplication of these photos? When I imported these pictures from my phone, it said there was 1800 and some pictures and its safe to say 60% of them are duplicates or more!

HELP!:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

You should only have our camera photos in /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/DCIM/100MEDIA ... downloaded photos will appear in a couple of places.

Best I can guess, you are downloading copies of your own photos, and they're being copied from folders like /mnt/sdcard/Download, etc.

I would mount your phone as hard drive and find the folders you want to copy. Don't let some Windows application do it for you.

BTW, the "really tiny" ones are clearly thumbnails created by your on-phone gallery app(s). Again, the Windows photo app is copying over way too much. Do it manually, instead. My two cents....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones