• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root During call, prox sensor senses cheek and turns off, doesn't turn on again

refinery

Lurker
May 29, 2011
So I have an issue I couldn't find on these forums. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread with a solution in previous ones.

My phone can take phone calls correctly, but once I answer a call and put it towards my face, it turns off due to the proximity sensor.

However, when I pull it from my face repeatedly, the screen DOESN'T turn on. Pressing any other button doesn't turn it on either (vol up/down, search, home, etc).

I am forced to remove the battery.

If I hang up when the screen is off, it is basically soft-bricked and if I press the power button, the 4 buttons on the bottom light up and off when the power button is pressed or not. Half the time if I hold the power button, it will finally open up the lock screen, but that isn't even a 100% occurrence.

I tested it with an app and my prox sensor notices with my finger on it 0.0, and if it's far away, waiting or event or 0.4 in. Is that how it's supposed to work? I would suspect more possible inbetweens or something.

I'm running my LG Optimus V with CyanogenMod7 right now.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have chubby cheeks?

nevermind.... looks like you're rooted using a mod.......And yet people wonder why they have issues when they do things like this.

So I have an issue I couldn't find on these forums. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread with a solution in previous ones.

My phone can take phone calls correctly, but once I answer a call and put it towards my face, it turns off due to the proximity sensor.

However, when I pull it from my face repeatedly, the screen DOESN'T turn on. Pressing any other button doesn't turn it on either (vol up/down, search, home, etc).

If I hang up when the screen is off, it is basically soft-bricked and if I press the power button, the 4 buttons on the bottom light up and off when the power button is pressed or not. Half the time if I hold the power button, it will finally open up the lock screen, but that isn't even a 100% occurrence.

I tested it with an app and my prox sensor notices with my finger on it 0.0, and if it's far away, waiting or event or 0.4 in. Is that how it's supposed to work? I would suspect more possible inbetweens or something.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance.

The prices you pay for for running a custom Rom,your best bet is to post in the custom Rom section.

Upvote 0
I too have Cyanogenmod installed on my Optimus V, and have found that if you don't hold your phone against your face, the problem doesn't occur (as often at least). This is a known issue, and Zefie has noted it in the bugs / known issues of the mod, but no one knows if and when it would be fixed.

That being said, Cyanogenmod gingerbread is the yummiest thing I've ever had a cellgasm over, even with this single bug that haunts its near perfection.

Upvote 0
I too have Cyanogenmod installed on my Optimus V, and have found that if you don't hold your phone against your face, the problem doesn't occur (as often at least). This is a known issue, and Zefie has noted it in the bugs / known issues of the mod, but no one knows if and when it would be fixed.

That being said, Cyanogenmod gingerbread is the yummiest thing I've ever had a cellgasm over, even with this single bug that haunts its near perfection.

I ran that Rom for an hour way to many bugs,and there are several more bugs then that,it is not perfect when the audio is compromised the bluetooth is worthless the camera is worthless,but it's perfect i know,but keep believing what you think, but the truth is in the testing.

Upvote 0
I ran that Rom for an hour way to many bugs,and there are several more bugs then that,it is not perfect when the audio is compromised the bluetooth is worthless the camera is worthless,but it's perfect i know,but keep believing what you think, but the truth is in the testing.

I don't know where you got your Cyanogenmod from, but apparently it was an outdated version. My camera works flawlessly, bluetooth works great for both media entertainment and in call (quality is as good or better than my blackberry curve was, I use Samsung SPH-500 or something like that bluetooth stereo headset). I don't know what you mean by audio being compromised, but it plays just as well over headphones and built in speaker as my friend's Optimus S. The only other bugs that I had (in this version) was getting the market to work when first installing it, had to make a new gmail account, big deal, and had to set the voicemail to my phone number instead of the pound code.

Upvote 0
I don't know where you got your Cyanogenmod from, but apparently it was an outdated version. My camera works flawlessly, bluetooth works great for both media entertainment and in call (quality is as good or better than my blackberry curve was, I use Samsung SPH-500 or something like that bluetooth stereo headset). I don't know what you mean by audio being compromised, but it plays just as well over headphones and built in speaker as my friend's Optimus S. The only other bugs that I had (in this version) was getting the market to work when first installing it, had to make a new gmail account, big deal, and had to set the voicemail to my phone number instead of the pound code.

the optimus s is nearly the same phone only the sprints version,i tried the same version that even the developers say say are bugged you must have created your own,are you sure it's the v you are talking about,

Upvote 0

Do you know if there is any sort of solution for this problem?

It would be extremely helpful. I'll go try to look it up on the CyanogenMod forums now.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem when I use Skype for calls. Phone is stock,not rooted.

The phone doesn't freeze up or require reboot, - it's just the screen doesn't come back after moving it away from my face- usually when I'm done with the call and about to hang up. The only option I've found is to go back to the app drawer and run skype again- it comes up running in the same call with screen visible, and now call can be ended.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem when I use Skype for calls. Phone is stock,not rooted.

The phone doesn't freeze up or require reboot, - it's just the screen doesn't come back after moving it away from my face- usually when I'm done with the call and about to hang up. The only option I've found is to go back to the app drawer and run skype again- it comes up running in the same call with screen visible, and now call can be ended.

This "helped", but it isn't an actual solution.

Go to settings -> call settings.

Enable "Always use proximity".

However, when I pick up a call and put it to my cheek, it turns off as it should.

However, if I remove it from my cheek the first time, the screen is still black.

If I put my finger and hover over the prox sensor then quickly remove it, the screen flashes on then off. If I repeat hovering my finger for a second then removing it the 2nd time, the screen stays on what it seems FOREVER, then I can press "End Call" and my phone doesn't get f'ed up.

I'm going to try and repeat it, but I really only have 300 anytime minutes, and I can only test so much. Is there a way to not use minutes but test actually receiving a phone call or a "fake" phone call by any chance?

Upvote 0
Call 611 - ALEX! calling customer service doesn't use your airtime minutes.

This "helped", but it isn't an actual solution.

I'm going to try and repeat it, but I really only have 300 anytime minutes, and I can only test so much. Is there a way to not use minutes but test actually receiving a phone call or a "fake" phone call by any chance?

Upvote 0
This is a known issue with older versions of CM7 for the V and S. However, it was fixed more than a month ago with aospCM7.

The price you pay for not using a custom ROM is having a dumbed down version of what you could have.
But then again, lots of people go to 31Flavors and still order vanilla! ;)

Ahhh, if I get aospCM7, it will be "solved"?

Upvote 0
This is a known issue with older versions of CM7 for the V and S. However, it was fixed more than a month ago with aospCM7.

The price you pay for not using a custom ROM is having a dumbed down version of what you could have.
But then again, lots of people go to 31Flavors and still order vanilla! ;)

What's so dumb wanting everything on the phone to work as intended.

Upvote 0
What's so dumb wanting everything on the phone to work as intended.

I didn't say anyone was dumb, I said a dumbed down version of what you could have.

If you are happy with vanilla that's fine, but alot of us want flavors and toppings, and we are happy to accept the calories that come with them, ie bugs that get fixed fast in this ROM.

You may like vanilla, and that's fine. No one is posting mean comments about the stock ROM, but you feel the need to make all sorts of comments about something many have put lots of hours into making better.

I like my gingerbread flavor! ;)

Upvote 0
I didn't say anyone was dumb, I said a dumbed down version of what you could have.

If you are happy with vanilla that's fine, but alot of us want flavors and toppings, and we are happy to accept the calories that come with them, ie bugs that get fixed fast in this ROM.

You may like vanilla, and that's fine. No one is posting mean comments about the stock ROM, but you feel the need to make all sorts of comments about something many have put lots of hours into making better.

I like my gingerbread flavor! ;)

I have been working on computers for 10 years now,and have dealt with a lot of developers of both software and hardware,Linux Windows Apple,but the Android community is by far the most bs artists i have ever come across,most of the members over at the XDA think their shit does not stink,they act like everyone is idiots,because they can take an open source code and re compile it, which costs nothing, if you do not want to do it don't now to each his own, but to praise them like their gods is something i have no interest in doing.

Upvote 0
I have been working on computers for 10 years now,and have dealt with a lot of developers of both software and hardware,Linux Windows Apple,but the Android community is by far the most bs artists i have ever come across,most of the members over at the XDA think their shit does not stink,they act like everyone is idiots,because they can take an open source code and re compile it, which costs nothing, if you do not want to do it don't now to each his own, but to praise them like their gods is something i have no interest in doing.

So you decide to take out your frustrations with certain posters who offended you at xda by making a broad statement about the entire custom ROM community, even though the developer of aospCM7 has never posted anything other than thanks for the bug reports. :eek:

And I have absolutely no idea what your last part is saying!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones