• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

During the conversation, the interlocutor echoes his voice.

dimkopimko

Lurker
May 3, 2020
I bought google pixel 2 three years ago. Everything was fine until yesterday. At the interlocutor during a telephone conversation, an echo of his own voice appears. I'm fine with the sound. There is no echo and I hear the interlocutor perfectly. But the interlocutor hears a slight echo.

I noticed that when using a headset (headphones), the interlocutor’s echo disappears and he hears me perfectly. All is well and when using "loudspeaker". The interlocutor echoes only when I communicate by attaching my Google pixel 2 to my ear.

When using Telegram, Viber, Whatsapp echo is not observed. Everything is good both when recording sound on a Google camera and during sound recording.

Who knows how to solve this issue?

well it does not seem to be a software issue (you could try a factory reset to be sure)....so the only conclusion is that it must be a hardware issue. you might have to either 1) deal with it 2)carry a headset to make phone calls or 3)get it fixed.

I would gladly take the phone for repair if I knew what exactly the problem was. my problem is not solitary. I saw a lot of complaints from users back in 2017/2018 on exactly the same echo when making phone calls. But Google didn’t give any answers.

If there were people who understand the hardware basis of google pixel 2 and could give a specific answer, which node of the device specifically can be involved in this.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have occasionally observed such echos with various phones over the years - actually I don't really recall having it with the Pixel 2. But note the "occasionally": it's always been an intermittent thing, and where I've been able to repeat it the location has been the common factor, which led me to suspect that it was connected to network factors. So maybe try it somewhere else (if that's possible these days) and see whether it makes a difference?

Upvote 0
I have occasionally observed such echos with various phones over the years - actually I don't really recall having it with the Pixel 2. But note the "occasionally": it's always been an intermittent thing, and where I've been able to repeat it the location has been the common factor, which led me to suspect that it was connected to network factors. So maybe try it somewhere else (if that's possible these days) and see whether it makes a difference?

During these two days I was in different places of the city. And before that, I never had any communication problems.

Upvote 0
If it's consistent in different places that suggests the phone. The problem suddenly coming on tells you nothing about the source.

Unfortunately I can't suggest anything more detailed. You describe something that only happens when using the phone's mic and earpiece, and only when making cellular calls. That's an interesting combination, since the mic and earpiece are also used in VOIP calls (WhatsApp, Telegram etc) and the cellular connection is unchanged when using a headset or speakerphone mode. So there's not an obvious single hardware component here that's unique to the case where you have a problem. You have checked that it doesn't depend on how you are holding it rather than the input source?

Maybe try in "safe mode", which would eliminate any third party software as the cause if the problem is still there. I doubt it's system software, since that wouldn't have changed 2 days ago, but there will be another update in the next couple of days so you could see whether that makes any difference.

To be honest though, if it's hardware the options may be rather limited: a bad antenna connection or mic connection would be one thing, but an awful lot of the rest is bonded to the motherboard and not designed to be removed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones