1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Dust under screen - any fix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by duvallite, Aug 12, 2011.

1. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
    :( I've just noticed I'm getting some dust under my screen, mainly in the lower right corner, but some at the bottom too. Probably getting in from the switches on that side and/or from the usb port at the bottom when I put the phone in my pocket. I'm using a screen protector and a body glove case, but it has cutouts for the switches and ports. Is there any way to get the dust out from under the screen, and also maybe prevent it from happening?

Advertisement

2. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    short of replacing the phone i know of nothing to rid yourself of dust under the screen

3. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Why not just pull the battery,then hold the power button down to release any residual electricity, then pull the screen and clean the phone with some Electrical contact cleaner,or parts cleaner(something that will not leave any residue behind). You might want to use a soft,small artists paint brush.
    I bought a zippered semi hard camera case for when I had to work around Acid,sulfates,hazardous chemicals,and working outside for long periods of time.
    I don't use it all the time,just when I need to. My phone still looks and acts great.

4. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    Male
    Soggy Cascade Foothills, WA
    Any idea on what the steps are to go about removing the screen? I might give it a try if it's not too tough or dicey.

5. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Your going to have to pull the battery and undo the screws holding the cases together(there really hard get started.be careful you don't strip them out. I've never actually took the scree out, but listened to other people who have(it sounded simple enough). You should have some wires attached, but they should have quick disconnects. Maybe someone will come along who has actually done this. This is all the advice a can give on this subject.
    Sorry that's all I could do.

6. rocketspank

rocketspank Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    Here is a video to disassemble to Optimus One. Very quick and straight forward. Since they are built similar you should be able to do this with the V. I have used THIS video to take apart my V when I dropped it and the volume rocker didn't work correctly. This video is longer and you'll have to listen to a guy talk through every step (good for beginners). If you don't have the tools he is using (I did from previous iPod screen replacements), a thicker, plastic guitar pick works just as well.

Watching the video may be unsettling, but the overall process is fairly simple. Good luck with your issue.

jj2me, duvallite and AndyOpie150 like this.
  7. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    I think this needs to be a sticky. I have a brick that if I could replace the mother board would work just fine. Your info will come in handy when the time comes.

8. rocketspank

rocketspank Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    Just be careful when taking it apart as, like the second videos points out, fingerprints are extremely hard to get rid of... just use a dusting brush and you should have no issues with prints.

9. Atma

Atma Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2011
    Male
    Survival
    North Carolina
    I've had my V a few days over a month. I noticed a couple of days after I bought it, a couple of white specks (dust I assume) in the lower right corner. I was out in the sun a short time ago and when the sun hits the screen I can about a dozen white specks. I found this post at XDA and several said LG will clean it for free because its a known design flaw.

I may try to take mine apart in the near future because it is very noticeable in the sun and apparently getting worse. Or maybe buy a T-Mobile phone and then send my V to LG.

AndyOpie150 likes this.
Tags: