1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support dust under screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ceejay83, Aug 14, 2011.

1. ceejay83

ceejay83 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    anyone else have dust underneath their screen? i've only had the phone for 2 weeks and noticed little specs of dust. the dust is probably getting in via the hard buttons. i have a perfectly working phone and this might be the deal breaker for me since more dust is likely to get in.

Advertisement

2. bludd

bludd Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    If you have the BB black tie replacement plan, doesn't dust under the screen get covered for a new phone?

3. ceejay83

None

Mar 22, 2011
    well i still have 2 weeks left on my return policy. i'm lucky to have this triumph that doesn't have the problems other people have reported. i might end up getting a worse phone if i exhcange it lol

4. ceejay83

None

Mar 22, 2011
    taken from someone else who owns the huawei x6. might be a widespread problem

[​IMG]

5. Spaco

Spaco Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    Wow, that's pretty bad. No dust here, but I have a rocketfish case that probably helps protect from that. Can you take a pic of the Triumph with the dust? I haven't heard of this problem before.

Also, take it back! Swap it out until you get a good one. My first Triumph had camera focus issues, but my second one is perfect.

6. jeffthemartin

jeffthemartin Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Goshen, IN
    I am also having a problem with dust under the screen of my Droid Incredible. AND even worse, now there's a HAIR under the screen. I took my phone apart to try to clean it, but even after taking off the back case and the circuit board, I still couldn't get at the part where the dust and hair was. Any other ideas??

7. LeoXearo

LeoXearo Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    I have a tiny spec of dust near my volume buttons.

Just to be safe I covered my buttons with some clear scotch tape until my case is delivered.

8. JollyRoger87

JollyRoger87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    UPS
    Phoenix, Az
    I bought the rocketfish specifically for this issue.. and I pray it keeps the dust out... Had it for a few weeks now so far so good... *knock on wood*

9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    I must warn people: when you take the device apart, first purchase am ESD wrist strap and have access to a good ground. Chips can be fried because of ESD.

Luck to you, go for it.

10. KeithFB

KeithFB Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Electroncs & admin
    Dannevirke N.Z.
    I purchase a Huawei X1 31st Aug. Sent back 27th Sept with dust appearing at bottom left of screen, Came back cleaned in two weeks later. I had to send it back October 31 for the same problem. Was returned Nov 10 and now three days later I see more dust appearing at the same point.
    My phone is not in a dirty environment, (ther than pocket lint) so I expect there is seal failure they are overlooking. Perhaps there is no seal. Any one else with this problem on their X1.

11. soundping

soundping Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Rubber skin will help stop that. :)

12. OGWillikers

OGWillikers Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I'm getting dust under the glass by the power button about as bad as in the picture. It's not noticeable when the screen is on though. Still, at the rate it's building up, I know it won't be long before I'm bothered.

13. Etegral

Etegral Member
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    I am seeing dust on my screen at the very top right corner. I don't use a case, but it's sad that a case is necessary to prevent this. It's noticeable only in certain lighting conditions, and the majority of the dust extends downward only to where the status bar is on the screen, although there are some particles below that. I hope it doesn't turn into something as bad as that picture.

14. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles
    None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    I don't usually use a case and I don't have this issue. It is probably just certain phones.

15. Gdibig

Gdibig Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Late to this post, but before anybody tries to take their phone apart, there is a 2nd screen protector on the phone that my be the culprit. It's hard to take off, but there is at least one thread on here about it.

16. OGWillikers

None

Sep 6, 2011
    I'm sure this isn't under the screen protector. You can see it stuck to the LCD and glass at different depths, for one.

Here's a nice picture to show how bad this is when the light is just right...

[​IMG]

As you can see, my phone is in good shape. That's all pocket lint. Been searching for instructions on removing the screen. I'm sure some carefully placed black silicon gasket maker could really help with this.

Aaaaaand I just removed the screen protector because it had an ugly blemish from dropping my keys in my car seat where my phone was. No change in dust, except now it's far more noticeable with the screen on. :(

17. mistichunter

mistichunter Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 6, 2012
    Male
    PICKER AT AMAZON FULLFILLMENT
    San Antonio Texas
    i only have dust inside the flash of my cameras phone

18. shmackshmack

None

Dec 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    when i first got my triumph i took it completely apart (becuase i couldnt help myself) and realized the two halves werent fully connected.

on re assembly i put extra care into making everything align and snap together correctly.

in the months since, i havent gotten anything under the screen.

i didnt think it was an issue until I see these pictures. if my phone did that i dont know what i would do D:

besides that, to the person who tried to get at the screen, its NOT easy. just try getting it replaced.

even if you get at the screen, you could damage it by cleaning and then your boned. also, re assembly without getting dust in is near impossible. i have a work environment specifically for tasks like this so i was ok. but the average user shouldnt be anywhere near their devices screen outside of the phone

19. OGWillikers

None

Sep 6, 2011
    I've tried to get it replaced by VM, I was told to get a silicon case for it. That doesn't help the existing issue...

I don't expect it to be easy to take apart, but I do have experience gutting small devices. Just looking for instructions to make sure there's nothing I miss because I don't feel like buying a new phone. And even if I do get a few specks of dust inside while doing this, it can't be worse than how it is now...

20. OGWillikers

None

Sep 6, 2011
    Update: Tried to get it replaced again via VMU Social Care on Facebook. Showed them the picture I posted, and they asked for my shipping address.

I now have a new Triumph, not refurbished.

21. rebmooc

rebmooc Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    West Coast, NZ
    yep. i have the huawei x1, and i have the same dust problem. same as you, the dust is in the bottom left of the screen. my guess is its getting in through either the mic or the hard button. I've only had the phone a week, and don't work or live in a dusty environment. not sure if return policy covers this. hope so.