• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dust Under the Glass?

Here's a picture of my phone. most of the dust seen in the picture is under the glass.

IMG_3768.jpg

Upvote 0
Man, that is dusty! How could such a design flaw get by the quality control guys. And if they knew about it, do they really think we wouldn't notice? This will just give the iPhone geeks more fodder to to throw at us. Sheesh!

I hope they're hard at work developing an airtight case, and are ready to have a boatload of 1st generation Hero's returned, which means there will be a lot of cheap refurbishes out there!

Upvote 0
I noticed 2 specs of dust creeping under the screen, then I got the Sprint silicone protector, which covers the left and right edges of the screen and I haven't noticed any more dust. But then again I haven't put it in my pocket since I noticed dust. My friend keeps his in his pocket all the time with the Sprint silicone and hasn't gotten any dust yet. The handhelditems.com silicone doesn't cover the side seams, that's what I was using before.

Upvote 0
I just got my replacement today. There is an obvious difference between the screen on my original and the screen on the new. The new one is much more recessed.

This phone has the same rattle on the upper back of the phone though. Guess that's just a part of the phone.

Now that it's been a couple of days... has the replacement started taking up dust?

Upvote 0
I don't think the dust is from pocket lint..generally that is too big to get in such a small opening. my guess is that the dust is from your house. Where i live the air filtration is pretty poor..electronics generally get a small dust coating within 1 day.

I noticed a small amount of dust in my a phone a few days in. I bought a neoprene pouch to keep the phone in overnight and have not noticed any more dust collecting inside. I don't keep the phone in the pouch during the day..I just use my pocket.

Upvote 0
on my phone, it's due to the screen not being sealed properly. the bottom left corner of the glass is sticking up above the rest of the plastic housing. i can actually lift the corner of the glass further.

That appears to be my problem too. When the scroll ball lights up I can actually see light seeping out of the lower left hand corner. You can actually see a crack b/t the housing and screen that gets larger and larger the farther to the left you go.

Upvote 0
I don't think the dust is from pocket lint..generally that is too big to get in such a small opening. my guess is that the dust is from your house. Where i live the air filtration is pretty poor..electronics generally get a small dust coating within 1 day.

I noticed a small amount of dust in my a phone a few days in. I bought a neoprene pouch to keep the phone in overnight and have not noticed any more dust collecting inside. I don't keep the phone in the pouch during the day..I just use my pocket.

I don't think that's the way dust is getting in. On mine i can see light and a space between the metalic push button panel and the screen, but i think that's normal otherwise the metalic push buttons wouldn't push (would they?)

I don't have any dust under my screen as of yet and have had it since pre-release. At least i hope my explanation is correct...i don't want any dust!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones