• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dust Under The Screen

Do you have dust under the screen of your HTC Desire?

• Total voters
I've been really lucky with my Desire - no dust and I got the last one in the shop :D

Ha, I'm on my third and all had dust. I have given up trying to get a dust free one. My final one has one annoying spec (as opposed to the 5 or 6 on my second)... but I will grow to love it :)

My first phone had two dead pixels. Not that lucky when it comes to electronics :)

Upvote 0
My phone came with no dust. I check daily as i'm REALLY paranoid about dust getting under screens. It's been clean for 2 months until this week where there's now 5 bits of dust, 3 of which appeared on the way home from work today. 1 of those 3 is quite obvious and I was checking the screen just before leaving work as I noticed the second speck had appeared earlier today but didn't see the big one so it must have gotten in from beying knocked around on the journey home - it was in my shirt pocket.

If I look at an angle towards the top of the screen between htc and the speaker I can see a fair amount of white bits at the edge which I thought was the glass fragmenting a bit but I guess it's actually dust waiting to implode under the screen :(

Upvote 0
My phone came with no dust. I check daily as i'm REALLY paranoid about dust getting under screens. It's been clean for 2 months until this week where there's now 5 bits of dust, 3 of which appeared on the way home from work today. 1 of those 3 is quite obvious and I was checking the screen just before leaving work as I noticed the second speck had appeared earlier today but didn't see the big one so it must have gotten in from beying knocked around on the journey home - it was in my shirt pocket.

If I look at an angle towards the top of the screen between htc and the speaker I can see a fair amount of white bits at the edge which I thought was the glass fragmenting a bit but I guess it's actually dust waiting to implode under the screen :(

Sorry to hear that, mate.

It's interesting to hear all these stories and theories, which is why I made this thread with a poll.

It seems that dust is an issue with the HTC Desire, just as it was with previous HTC models like the Nexus One and the Hero.

The matter which is up for debate is when and how the dust gets under the screen. Does it get in during the manufacturing process? Does it get in afterwards? Does the problem get worse? Is the screen sealed?

You do have a manufacturer's warranty and they will strip the phone down, clean it and send it back as good as new. This is what I was told today when I spoke to somebody at T-Mobile. Just thought I'd mention that for the peace of mine of yourself and others.

Upvote 0
Also, I'd like to mention I looked at a couple of phones in stores in London and, guess what... dust under the screen. I do not doubt that some phones have no dust, but it seems strange that of all the 8+ phones I have seen ALL have had dust under the screen.

Phones on display in stores are usually dummies.

Ian

Upvote 0
I think dust might be a problem with the Desire. I've noticed a small build-up of dust (about the size of a half thumbprint) next to where the volume control is. I can only assume that this is a slight defect in design and I didn't have any dust problems with my old Hero. Perfect phone otherwise, though wondering how much worse the dust will get...have only had the Desire a few weeks.

If anyone has any tips on removing dust via volume button it'd be much appreciated!

Upvote 0
I think dust might be a problem with the Desire. I've noticed a small build-up of dust (about the size of a half thumbprint) next to where the volume control is. I can only assume that this is a slight defect in design and I didn't have any dust problems with my old Hero. Perfect phone otherwise, though wondering how much worse the dust will get...have only had the Desire a few weeks.

If anyone has any tips on removing dust via volume button it'd be much appreciated!

I read a post on another forum where the poster claimed to have sucked some dust out via the volume control! :D

Upvote 0
A lot of stores have seversl "pods" with live phones these days. I think I recall TrueSpin saying he used a live model or two?

Yeah, they were live models. I'm not doubting what people say on this forum, but I had 4 phones (before I got a refund for reasons not related to dust) and they all had dust. As I have said before, two of my friends have Desires, and both of theirs have dust. The models I have looked at in shops (and been able to inspect in sunlight) have also all had dust... but yet the poll on this thread suggests dust filled phones are in the minority.

I can only assume people are either a) not checking properly or b) I have been seeing phones from a bad batch.

Upvote 0
Yeah, they were live models. I'm not doubting what people say on this forum, but I had 4 phones (before I got a refund for reasons not related to dust) and they all had dust. As I have said before, two of my friends have Desires, and both of theirs have dust. The models I have looked at in shops (and been able to inspect in sunlight) have also all had dust... but yet the poll on this thread suggests dust filled phones are in the minority.

I can only assume people are either a) not checking properly or b) I have been seeing phones from a bad batch.

I pay a lot of attention to my screen and there is definitely no dust.

Upvote 0
I pay a lot of attention to my screen and there is definitely no dust.

I am starting to wonder whether there was indeed a bad batch. My friends and I all got our phones around the same time in the same area, so that would make sense. Wonder if it explains the other problems I had

Dear me... I miss my Desire. I even looked at the iPhone 4 as an alternative, but that seems to have loads of issues at the moment... plus I love Android.

Upvote 0
I didn't like the look if the iPhone 4 at all. I had a look in a shop yesterday and I prefer several phones aesthetically - the Desire being one of them!

I'm starting to wonder about a bad batch as well. It could be worth you checking out a Desire for a second time? I will end up sending mine away to be cleaned I think. If it comes back with dust, I think it's fair to say it's impossible to seal it without dust slipping in, or HTC have incompetent staff! :D

Upvote 0
I didn't like the look if the iPhone 4 at all. I had a look in a shop yesterday and I prefer several phones aesthetically - the Desire being one of them!

I'm starting to wonder about a bad batch as well. It could be worth you checking out a Desire for a second time? I will end up sending mine away to be cleaned I think. If it comes back with dust, I think it's fair to say it's impossible to seal it without dust slipping in, or HTC have incompetent staff! :D

I am tempted to try again simply because the Desire is by most peoples accounts, the best phone on the market. But I am going to wait a few weeks before I make any decision. Plus I will inspect the phone thoroughly before I complete the transaction. I like the look of the iPhone 4 in terms of its body, but the OS bores me. I need the Desire and the iPhone 4 to have a child.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones