• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DX - 595 Camera Resolution Settings

Running 595 leak deodexed. Camera doesn't save resolution settings and keeps going back to widescreen res. Driving me crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks!
It's really somewhat unbelievable that such an obvious, annoying and certainly reported bug hasn't been fixed.

There's no explanation or excuse.

What I did was just download camera360 and use that as my camera app. There are other 3rd party camera apps to choose from as well.

I'd still much prefer using the stock app (especially since it links to the physical camera button), but I don't want to take my pics in widescreen and it just takes way too long to change it every time I open up the camera app.

Not very hopeful that it's been fixed in the OTA.

Upvote 0
596 fixes this

Mine remains in "Large (8MP) when exiting/entering phone app, but still reverts back to widescreen after reboot.

Metfanant, do you really think if the leaks were "illegal" that moto wouldn't have brought down the corporate wrath on those supplying them. Don't kid yourself. We are all pawns in the big picture.

On a more helpful note, it seems they did listen to peoples complaints regarding low light resolution and it seems the latest update helps with exposure as advertised.

Upvote 0
Metfanant, do you really think if the leaks were "illegal" that moto wouldn't have brought down the corporate wrath on those supplying them. Don't kid yourself. We are all pawns in the big picture.

illegal in the sense that unless it was a conscious decision by a Moto Exec to let them out them someone broke ALL SORTS of company policy in letting them out to us...surely to the point that the company could prosecute the "leaker" if they chose too...

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a big deal really. There are so many third party camera apps on the market anyway. And most of them are better than the stock camera. The two I think are the best are Camera zoom fx and vignette.
agreed, in light of how things went, I'd say it was pretty smooth. I can rememeber when the storm1 got upgraded and the camera didn't work at all.

Upvote 0
I've been using camera360 but I would much prefer using stock which is faster.

If dont run your camera on widescreen, you can no longer use the stock camera with this bug. It just takes too long to change resolution each time.

That being said, one thing that would smooth the transition to another cam app would be way to open that app when using the hardware camera button. Any way to do that?

Upvote 0
I've been using camera360 but I would much prefer using stock which is faster.

If dont run your camera on widescreen, you can no longer use the stock camera with this bug. It just takes too long to change resolution each time.

That being said, one thing that would smooth the transition to another cam app would be way to open that app when using the hardware camera button. Any way to do that?
good call! Might ave to look around and see if the buttons are assignable like they are on a (ugh) BlackBerry.

Upvote 0
A work around might be to install AutoKiller...then manually lower the oom value of the camera app...the lower the value the longer the OS waits to kill the app from memory...

Its a temporary solution...I think it only lasts until you boot again...but it might allow you to use your camera more effectively...

Personally I prefer the widescreen setting so the bug doesn't bother me

Upvote 0
A work around might be to install AutoKiller...then manually lower the oom value of the camera app...the lower the value the longer the OS waits to kill the app from memory...

I see that. What would I lower the oom value to for the camera app to keep it from getting killed by the system?

EDIT: Nevermind. Doesn't look like I get a choice. It just made it -17. I guess after a reboot, I'd have to go into autokiller and do that again?

Not sure that's a real solution.

Linking the camera button to another app would be nice, but doesn't seem like there's an easy way for that either.

Upvote 0
I see that. What would I lower the oom value to for the camera app to keep it from getting killed by the system?

EDIT: Nevermind. Doesn't look like I get a choice. It just made it -17. I guess after a reboot, I'd have to go into autokiller and do that again?

Linking the camera button to another app would be nice, but doesn't seem like there's an easy way for that either.

I mean really how often do you reboot?...every time you boot up...open auto killer and you have to make two presses...

That ia the best solution for the stock app out there....

Upvote 0

yup, that's not an easy one so far

Upvote 0
Woke up this morning and camera was back to widescreen, so it must have closed somehow. Fortress autokiller lose the oom value even without a reboot.

Will have to watch this more closely

Edit: no, this solution is no good. As soon as I open the camera app to the foreground, the oom value gets reset to 7. Then the camera will close before not to long.

Best solution will have to be to use a third party app and lose the hardware camera button to open the camera or just settle for taking pictures in widescreen. This was a huge oversight for Motorola

Upvote 0
Just so you guys know. If you have a third party camera app installed and you hit the camera button it will ask you which app to open. In my case it askes if I want to open the stock camera or vignette.

All you would do is tick "use by default for this action" and click whatever third party camera app you're using. Done, camera button is now selected to open your third party cam app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones