• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DX (MB810) ezSBF & Root 2.3.4/4.5.621 (no milestone .sbf)

I am new to this rooting stuff..
I have absolutely no idea what i am doing..
I have android 2.3.4 on a D2G
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g177d714
I do not know how to start this process since it's in weird lingo. I do not understand most abbreviations.. I know CPU.. ROM RAM.. but nothing else. Could someone please send me the steps in plain english.. I really need help. I would love to have my phone rooted.. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I am new to this rooting stuff..
I have absolutely no idea what i am doing..
I have android 2.3.4 on a D2G
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g177d714
I do not know how to start this process since it's in weird lingo. I do not understand most abbreviations.. I know CPU.. ROM RAM.. but nothing else. Could someone please send me the steps in plain english.. I really need help. I would love to have my phone rooted.. Thank you.

please reply here
http://androidforums.com/droid-2-all-things-root/603504-d2g-ezsbf-root-2-3-4-4-5-629-magic-md5.html

Upvote 0
Hi. Thank God for these forums bc I would have probably totally screwed my phone. LOL. I successfully rooted my Droid x. Not sure what I need to do next. The reason I rooted was so that I would be able to flash my phone to cricket. I know you have to root it first. So I got that far. Do I need to change the ROM? I have been calling cricket trying to set the account up and the village idiot there insists that I have to flash the phone first. However... From all that I have read it seems to me that you need the phone number on the cricket account before you can even flash it... Thanks for your help....
<---(*^@stressed out

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
First, thanks for developing the root program, additionally thank you for checking the threads you created months later.

I had looked into rooting my X a few months ago and either I didn't find this method or it wasn't released yet so I just sort of gave up.I decided to give it another shot and I found your files but I'm having a little trouble after rebooting into the bootloader, after I hit enter I get this sequence

press Enter to continue
unzipping and flashing files
killed
siltaz GNU/Linux kernel 2.6.6 - siltaz TTY1
siltaz login:

and then nothing happens, I'm assuming that computer isn't communicating with the phone so I tried it in PC Mode instead of charge only and got the same results. I was considering reformatting the phone back to factor setting and try again but I though I'd see if you had any additional insight first.

Upvote 0
ok I number the steps
program is getting stuck @ step 4?

1. select DX
don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

2. turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode in top status bar

3. press continue
adb will push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
4. manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
5. Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
6. adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
7. program will reboot to recovery,
manually wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
then select reboot
rooted

Upvote 0
ok I number the steps

1. select DX
don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

2. turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
select charge only usb mode in top status bar

3. press continue
adb will push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
4. manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
5. Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)

[quote[ok I number the steps
Yeah, it seems to be. it seems like the scripts getting killed after it attempts to flash the files, I guess I'm not really sure. But it's definitely not proceeding to step five.

1. select DX
That's screen's giving me three options
1. Flash MB810 2.3.4 SBF
2. Root
3. Shutdown

I've selected 2 (unless your talking about a different menu, but I haven't seen one)

are you using the muti device disc (54mb) or the ezSBF and root (225MB)?
ezSBF

Upvote 0
phone is running 2.3.4 \4.5.621?
you verified md5 check sum of the. iso?

if those are correct, some times flashing sbf, is the only thing that seems to fix

could be hardware conflict, you can try cd or usb thumb drive, disconnect all usb devices except keyboard and thumb drive, stock moto usb data cable, use rear usb ports not hub or front, different pc/mac

Reactions: LordoftheDance
Upvote 0
phone is running 2.3.4 \4.5.621?
you verified md5 check sum of the. iso?

if those are correct, some times flashing sbf, is the only thing that seems to fix

could be hardware conflict, you can try cd or usb thumb drive, disconnect all usb devices except keyboard and thumb drive, stock moto usb data cable, use rear usb ports not hub or front, different pc/mac

md5 checks out, tried flashing the sbf only to get the same sequence (killed) so I'm assuming I'm having an issue with the usb on the laptop I'm using. My desktop doesn't seem to load off of the CD ROM drive (I'm going to fiddle with that tomorrow) and I can't seem to successfully burn it to a flash drive and I'll try that again too.

I'll keep you posted

Upvote 0
For anyone still rooting a Droid X, be aware that you may have a hardware issue. I'm working on two Droid Xs today. One of them rooted no problem with Framaroot. The other one refuses to root even though Super SU does install. They're identical other than one having a newer preferred roaming list.

If Framaroot doesn't work, it may be time to give up.

Dan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones