1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root DX (MB810) ezSBF & Root 2.3.4/4.5.621 (no milestone .sbf)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by themib, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dwsurfpunk

dwsurfpunk Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Male
    I am new to this rooting stuff..
    I have absolutely no idea what i am doing..
    I have android 2.3.4 on a D2G
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g177d714
    I do not know how to start this process since it's in weird lingo. I do not understand most abbreviations.. I know CPU.. ROM RAM.. but nothing else. Could someone please send me the steps in plain english.. I really need help. I would love to have my phone rooted.. Thank you.

Advertisement

2. themib

themib Android Expert

please reply here
    http://androidforums.com/droid-2-all-things-root/603504-d2g-ezsbf-root-2-3-4-4-5-629-magic-md5.html

3. JenS13

JenS13 Lurker

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi. Thank God for these forums bc I would have probably totally screwed my phone. LOL. I successfully rooted my Droid x. Not sure what I need to do next. The reason I rooted was so that I would be able to flash my phone to cricket. I know you have to root it first. So I got that far. Do I need to change the ROM? I have been calling cricket trying to set the account up and the village idiot there insists that I have to flash the phone first. However... From all that I have read it seems to me that you need the phone number on the cricket account before you can even flash it... Thanks for your help....
    <---(*^@stressed out

4. themib

themib Android Expert

only directions I remember seeing on flashing to cricket is
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/429798-how-flash-verizons-droid-x2-cricket.html
    and that's for DX2
    think most people take their phone to someone who already has to software and knowledge
    but if you do get it flashed and working, your self, let me know please

edit: http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon-motorola-droid-x/5373-%5Btutorial%5D-flash-motorola-droid-x-cricket-2-2-froyo-talk-text-mms-internet.html

or http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/19865-say-buh-bye-vzw-flashing-your-droid-x-cricket-metropcs.html

5. themib

themib Android Expert

6. LordoftheDance

Mar 24, 2013
    First, thanks for developing the root program, additionally thank you for checking the threads you created months later.

I had looked into rooting my X a few months ago and either I didn't find this method or it wasn't released yet so I just sort of gave up.I decided to give it another shot and I found your files but I'm having a little trouble after rebooting into the bootloader, after I hit enter I get this sequence

press Enter to continue
    unzipping and flashing files
    killed
    siltaz GNU/Linux kernel 2.6.6 - siltaz TTY1
    siltaz login:

and then nothing happens, I'm assuming that computer isn't communicating with the phone so I tried it in PC Mode instead of charge only and got the same results. I was considering reformatting the phone back to factor setting and try again but I though I'd see if you had any additional insight first.

7. themib

themib Android Expert

ok I number the steps
    program is getting stuck @ step 4?

1. select DX
    don't use numbers on right side of your keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

2. turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
    select charge only usb mode in top status bar

3. press continue
    adb will push
    Code:
    data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
    program will prompt you to
    4. manually reboot phone to bootloader (Hold volume up+down buttons and power button, or hold Vol.Down and Camera and wait for the screen to flash)
    program will will be flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
    5. Program will reboot phone twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
    6. adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
    7. program will reboot to recovery,
    manually wipe cache (should auto reboot to recovery, at android andy press both volume buttons, if it doesn't press home button and hold it in then press your power button, hold it in also till you see a triangle on the screen w/ android andy then press both volume buttons)
    then select reboot
    rooted

8. themib

themib Android Expert

are you using the muti device disc (54mb) or the ezSBF and root (225MB)?

9. LordoftheDance

Mar 24, 2013
    [quote[ok I number the steps
    program is getting stuck @ step 4?

10. themib

themib Android Expert

phone is running 2.3.4 \4.5.621?
    you verified md5 check sum of the. iso?

if those are correct, some times flashing sbf, is the only thing that seems to fix

could be hardware conflict, you can try cd or usb thumb drive, disconnect all usb devices except keyboard and thumb drive, stock moto usb data cable, use rear usb ports not hub or front, different pc/mac

LordoftheDance likes this.
  11. LordoftheDance

Mar 24, 2013
    md5 checks out, tried flashing the sbf only to get the same sequence (killed) so I'm assuming I'm having an issue with the usb on the laptop I'm using. My desktop doesn't seem to load off of the CD ROM drive (I'm going to fiddle with that tomorrow) and I can't seem to successfully burn it to a flash drive and I'll try that again too.

I'll keep you posted

12. themib

themib Android Expert

13. themib

themib Android Expert

[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

Just download, allow unknown sources, install, open, select top root method (Gimli), reboot phone, done

no pc needed.

14. DanLynch

DanLynch Lurker

Mar 29, 2014
    For anyone still rooting a Droid X, be aware that you may have a hardware issue. I'm working on two Droid Xs today. One of them rooted no problem with Framaroot. The other one refuses to root even though Super SU does install. They're identical other than one having a newer preferred roaming list.

If Framaroot doesn't work, it may be time to give up.

Dan

15. themib

themib Android Expert

Or use magic md5 root, or wipe data, flash sbf, retry rooting

16. themib

themib Android Expert

Newer framaroot versions are not as compatible with older moto devices

17. alster

alster Newbie

Jan 6, 2011