1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

DX Rooter Comin Over to OG with a Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chacen.droid, Feb 3, 2011.

1. chacen.droid

chacen.droid Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm a Droid X owner and I frequent the DX section of this forum. Tonight an amazing thing happened my girl who owns an OG Droid that for the past 3 months she has forbidden me to root or do anything fun with was playing with Liberty 1.5 on my X and enjoyed it so much she gave me the green light to go to work on her droid now I have been browsing the forums and reading up on the OG Droid for quite a while and I'm an avid modder with my X so I'm pretty comfortable but I may need some clarification along the way so I would like to just keep it all contained here in one thread

Now to begin Im looking for some ROM suggestions she doesn't use her phone real heavy; plays a couple lite games, Facebook, web browsing, pictures etc. So I need moderate performance improvement just to make the phone run smoother, multi task without terrible lag. Obviously I'm looking for a stable release with all the basics working (GPS, camera, full USB support etc.) No major known issues

She is really in to customizing fonts, colors icons, etc. What ROM's have the most visual customization options? Most theme support? So lay it on me guys she'll give me plenty of test time so flashing a couple (or 10) different ROMs doesn't scare me, definately excited to check out what the unlocked boot loader has to offer and for sure looking forward to becoming apart of another piece of this forum the DX section has always been so helpful, learned everything I know from those guys lol

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Liebensaft

Liebensaft Member

Without a doubt, either UltimateDroid 2.5 (most current fully-stable iteration) or CyanogenMod 6.1.2 (I think) offer the most customization I've seen within a ROM. There are a bunch of theming options, both in .zip form and within the ROM settings to play with. As far as kernels go, I usually like Slayher's or ChevyNo.1's offerings. My phone doesn't seem to like the ULV ones, so the plain LV (low voltage) ones at either 1.0 or 1.1 GHz are what I tend to use. Tweak to your heart's content with SetCPU and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Of course, be sure to use Titanium Backup, nandroid backup, yadda yadda. You know that already, as I'm assuming it's virtually the same with the DX.

edit: If it's for a girl, she might like the level of customization she can get with MIUI. There's a lot of themes to choose from and the integrated theme downloader they have is pretty easy to use. It's pretty different from a lot of other ROMs out there. The themes all look best with the stock launcher though, and unfortunately for me, I'm not really a fan of the lack of an app drawer in that one.

I say show her screenshots of a bunch of setups, then help her set it up and show her how simply she can play around with it all.

chacen.droid likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Another vote for UD2.5! I'm on it and the customization options are nearly endless. For example, she can put a custom message on the lockscreen (I use an "If found" message in the unthinkable event I lose it) and can adjust the color of that message. She can even control the color and intensity of the deskclock screensaver time so it's not blinding at night. The fonts are great, the performance is solid, and I have YET to have a problem with this ROM. Combine it with LauncherPro, make a couple of tweaks and it'll fly through homescreens with little, if any, lag. I think she'll be a happy camper.

chacen.droid likes this.
  4. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast

Have to agree, UD makes for a lot of customization, another that I have real good luck on is Sorcery, it has lots of build it options Sourcery ROM

chacen.droid likes this.
  5. chacen.droid

Thanks for all the quick responces guys looks like I'm gonna try out UD first hopefully I can get all the proper backups in place and begin flashing tonight ill report back with any questions and hopefully some first impressions lol.

6. chacen.droid

Hey guys I'm back had somethings happen in real life that forced me to put Droid life on hold but now I'm back in the game. I have successfully rooted the OG Droid also installed Cyanogen 6.1.2 and I am MORE than impressed with the immediate gains (girlfriend is too which is saying something BELIEVE me).

Now I want to take it the next level and figure out this Kernal thing, so where should I start? As stated before I'm looking for stability over everything next is speed and battery life, so lay some suggestions down guys!

7. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Choosing a kernel is like choosing a rom or a hair color or a t-shirt or a pair of jeans or a . . . you get it.

The stock kernel in the rom you are using will clock to 800 mhz which is really quite good, IMHO. But there's plenty of other reading material on it here and elsewhere.

good luck

chacen.droid likes this.
  8. chacen.droid

Thank you for the info sir I guess a better question is; what kernal are others running on a similar setup (CM 6.1.2)..

You see I'm a Droid X owner and since my boot loader is locked down I can't swap kernels and with so many different options for the OG Droid I'm a bit overwhelmed so I'm just kinda looking for a starting point.

Thanks so much in advanced for any help you folks can offer :)

9. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast

The main players if you will are: Chevyno1s kernels, Slayher kernels, and P3 kernels. (These can be found and downloaded in ROM Manager or from the devs websites.)

Newer on the set but getting good reviews are the kernels by RaidZero and also the ones by Pete (located at http://www.peteralfonso.com

All of the kernels by these guys are recommended by a lot of people. Which one is best for your gf's droid can only be determined by trying them out and seeing what works the best. Some will be great others may run hot and others will take several days to show problems while some will immediately let you know they aren't liked.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

chacen.droid likes this.
  10. chacen.droid

Thanks a million! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Awesome!

11. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Just for kicks, I have been using P3Droid's for months. I only recently switched to try out prime's in conjunction with the Milestone OC app, but in all honesty I have yet to find any great new thing with it.

12. myfishbear

myfishbear Android Enthusiast

the most stable mix i have had is(chevysno1's rom) simply stunning 4.96 with the low volt 1.1ghz kernal... ive tried almost every rom... im just waiting for a perfect gb rom now... soup or root worked well for me as well(a rooting app for your pc)

13. chacen.droid

Hey guys I'm back!

So I flashed UD 3.1.1 awesome ROM so far but one thing is stumping me, I see the theme Chooser in the app drawer but I can't figure out how to put more theme options into the chooser, there seems to be just one theme (system).

Also if I go settings > ud > extras > user generated themes; there are no "user generated themes" lol

iv been poking around ud.com, here, and performed a few Google searches and can't figure out what I'm missing, can someone help me out here?

14. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

Check the android market and/or the android theme section of xda-developers.com

good luck

chacen.droid likes this.
  15. chacen.droid

Thanks for the reply man but I know how to find and flash themes I just need to know how to add the theme option i find into the built in theme chooser on UD 3.1 & CM7.

16. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast

I think it will depend on the ROM you are using... I think if you look on the Ultimate Droid website, you'll find the themes for that ROM. It appears you just flash the update.zip file in recovery...

17. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

I'm sorry. I'll go into more detail. The previous post about using the update.zip style of applying a theme is what you are used to doing and doesn't answer you question.

The themes for the T-Mobile style theme chooser are installed like an application, insomuch as they have an .apk extension. So as I said, you can either find them in the market under cyanogenmod theme, theme chooser, etc., or at xda-developers.com. I personally like the one called honeycream, try searching that one in the market, you should find it for sure. You install one just like an app, reboot the phone and viola! There it is in theme chooser.

good luck

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews