1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root DX Rooting Advice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LeftoverCake, Feb 22, 2011.

1. LeftoverCake

LeftoverCake Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Recording Engineer/Writer
    New York
    Basically, I'm getting a DX tomorrow. First time Droid user, but I'm quite familiar with them from friends/co-workers/family etc.

I've read the posts about the pros and cons, studied the guides and I feel that I'm pretty ready to take the dive into rooting my device but I'm a bit worried I don't quite understand where things usually take the 'turn for the worst' so to speak...

The processes described in the guides - especially the one-click apps - seem a bit too easy, I don't see where things could go so wrong. People I spoke to that have rooted tell me how easy it is, and that you'd have to be a dummy to mess it up. Other people who decided to stay with the factory settings advise me against rooting my phone because "some of the phones just don't like to be messed with" and "may brick for no reason whatsoever."

That's where I'm confused. What is the success/failure rate? Where do things most commonly go bad? How tech savvy do you need to be to get this done successfully? How 'hard' is it to brick this phone?

Thanks in advance guys. Hopefully you'll still welcome me to the board with open arms - despite my first post being a novel lol :eek:

Advertisement

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i have never heard of bricking your phone from the z4root method or visionary method we have that is in the sticky at the top of this forum.

you can brick your phone, however you can always sbf back to stock settings and start over again, AS LONG AS you know where you made the mistake in how you bricked.

you can brick from flashing roms
    in example:
    if you are stock and you flash a new rom like Apex, and you wipe data and cache, like it says to do in the installation part of the thread.
    and then you decide to test out Liberty v1.5 but you dont wipe data and cache,
    and now your stuck at the Moto M screen
    thats a soft brick, its easily recoverable, there are several measures, you boot into recovery, wipe data and cache and you can then have a successful liberty installation.
    or you can SBF back to 2.3.340 and guess what your back to stock! so you never really messed up your phone, reroot, redownload all the apps you lost(if they do not begin redownloading in market automatically) and try again.

you always want to wipe data and cache whenever you are moving from one rom developer to the next, if your going from apex 1.4 to 1.4.1 you do not need to wipe data and cache. and Fabolous will explain that in his thread about it. this is alot to take in im sure.

but we are a community, so ask questions! we are always going to answer your questions no matter what time of day or night it is, and no matter what kind of question it is. once your dx is here let us know and we will assist you with everything you need :)

LeftoverCake likes this.
  3. LeftoverCake

LeftoverCake Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Recording Engineer/Writer
    New York
    Awesome. That's a great sum up of everything I asked. Thanks! :D

So basically if I follow everything explained in the guides to the T, make backups before I dive in and always remember to clear the data and the cache before installing a new ROM to the device, I should be OK?

Sounds easy enough. Tomorrow's the big day. I've got a lot of research to do til then!!

4. maquina

maquina Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I rooted my phone last night for the first time. It was a little intimidating but it went smooth. I then got a little braver and installed the liberty 1.5 rom. So far so good. I used RoOoLeRs guide it was extremely helpfull.