• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dying to get Captivate...but

Aerimus

Nov 6, 2009
Upstate NY
Here's my problem. I REALLY want to get this phone. I currently have an iPhone 4, which is quite nice, and I don't really have any issues with. However, I've had an Android itch for a while now. I'm on ATT with my business plan so this has been the first real opportunity I've had to seriously consider picking up an Android phone.

Here's the problem...

I can't get a couple of my favorite apps on Android.

1)airvideo

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, it allows you to setup a server on your computer and stream any videos from your computer to your phone/idevice. It will even convert them on the fly for you. I can not begin to describe how incredibly awesome this app has been for a mere $2.99

2)Golfshot golf gps

Again, I've tried a lot of different golf gps apps and this one is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of cost and usefulness.

This sounds really stupid, but I'm in a golf league and use golfshot all the time and it means more to me than maybe to some. There also are the many other apps that I've invested a bunch of money into that make it harder to switch...tomtom, games, etc... Last but not least is the new iPhone screen. Say what you will, but now that I've used the new high res screen for a while, it bothers the hell out of me to not be able to read small print on the captivate. Even though the screen is .5" bigger, it actually can't view as much as the iPhone, if that makes sense(for movies the captivate wins for sure). It's hard to explain until you experience it, however I can basically read a full web page now without zooming in on it with the iPhone 4.

The antenna issue hasn't really been an issue for me, and I usually use a case anyway. The proximity sensor issue has been the bigger pain.

This is going to sound really stupid...but I think i'm going to actually wait til around christmas time and buy the captivate and have both. muhahaha... As a phone I think I'd rather have android for the google voice integration, but for the apps I'd rather have the iPhone. Another alternative is if they release a new iPod with gps and better stats that I could use for the apps and just sell the iphone and buy both the ipod and the captivate. Damn these platforms and the way they lock you in so well!!!!

Any thoughts from other iPhone switchers one what their thought process was?

I work for AT&T, and have carried an iPhone as my company phone since day 1 of the iPhone 2G. I recently switched over to the Captivate about a week ago, and I'm having no regrets so far.

They have Logmein for Android now, which is on the iPhone as well. It's a bit steep at $29.99, but it does what you are wanting.

The only thing I'm hating about the Captivate(and Android in general) is the apps. There are just way more for the iPhone. Thankfully I picked up an iPad so I can just pick up Apple apps on my iPad.

Seriously though, the Captivate is a great phone. You've got 30 days to buy it and return it if you aren't happy(with a restocking fee). Give it a shot. :)

Upvote 0
NOT AN IPHONE USER, JUST TRYING TO HELP:

Anyway, PocketCloud is a free app that gives you desktop access for Windows machines, and it works fairly well. And as far as the golf gps, I honestly wouldn't know where to begin to try and help you out.

I understand what you mean about the iP4 display. I mean I don't own one, but after using amoled, being forced to go back to a plain TFT device just SUCKS. But Super Amoled does give that high res screen a run for it's money.

I honestly never have a problem with apps, and rarely ever need to purchase. Obviously since you are coming from an iPhone you have different app expectations, so again I don't know what else to tell you than to go to Appbrain.com as see what similar apps you can find.

Upvote 0
I was confused at first about what you guys were replying to when you were talking about logmein etc. Air video actually is quite different. It runs the videos as if they were right on the iphone. In fact, the only difference i've seen with air video vs the ipod app is that air video seems to give me higher quality. Here's a link since it's a little hard to describe.

About Air Video

But yeah, you guys are close to hitting the nail on the head. I think if I had an ipad I'd be set to switch in a heartbeat since I could still use my apps, short of gps ones. I'm hoping that they add gps to the ipod touch this fall and I can just pick up one of those to use and sell my iphone.

One thing that was disappointing to me was the fact that samsung removed the front facing camera for the captivate. I know facetime can seem hokey but it's really nice when i'm on the road in a hotel room to see my wife and kids' smiles. :)

Anyway, i'm almost there. Soon.

Upvote 0
If i recall AirVideo lets you stream within your own WIFI connection right? Logmein lets you stream it anywhere, but it has no sound unfortunately.

Yeah, i've used logmein as well. It's not nearly as nice an interface for doing video streaming...not to mention the sound issue. Airvideo is quite possible the best app i've ever used...i think it's seriously under appreciated, or simply no one knows about it. It makes you say WOW the first time you use it....and I haven't had one of those moments with an app in a while now.

Upvote 0
One last thing I thought I would note is if the resolution of the iPhone 4 is extremely important to you, then the Captivate might not be for you. The way pixels are rendered with Samsung's samoled tech makes it so that individual pixels are easily noticed when reading print, but also puts the display at the top of the heap for pictures/movies. Just my personal experience.

Upvote 0
One last thing I thought I would note is if the resolution of the iPhone 4 is extremely important to you, then the Captivate might not be for you. The way pixels are rendered with Samsung's samoled tech makes it so that individual pixels are easily noticed when reading print, but also puts the display at the top of the heap for pictures/movies. Just my personal experience.

Interesting note. Thanks. Yeah, that kind of makes sense. When I was comparing them that's about what I decided as well. Movies - captivate wins. Text - iPhone 4 wins.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones