• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help E-Mail Sync Rules

ShawnM

Lurker
May 29, 2012
Hi All,
I just moved to Android after a very long time on Blackberry. I have been looking forward to this move for some time as RIM has really missed the boat on encouraging application development.

One thing I do miss is the e-mail sync rules that are available on BB. I was able to suppress e-mails (saved a ton on the battery and kept me from having to sort through a bunch of automated e-mails that I get from work on my handheld device) and have vibrate/LED notification based on certain other criteria (high importance, sender, etc..). I get a ton of e-mails so I would really like to be able to have my device be smarter about notifying me and even what it downloads. Am I missing something somewhere that would allow me to create rules as to when to forward and if to notify or not? Perhaps I need another e-mail client?

This is for my work account, Exchange 2010 via ActiveSync on a HTC Amaze running ICS. Thanks for any suggestions you have!

--Shawn

I don't use the native client for EAS (for that, we use Touchdown), but for my IMAP servers, you can configure the update frequency (prime time and non-prime time), number of days, size limits, and notification (or not) rules, per mailbox. Just drill down to the settings and explore all the options.

Some dislike the stock client, but for me it works fine. I can update my personal mailboxes and get notifications regularly, and get more infrequent updates for my news, social network, sales, and other publicly shared mailboxes. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones