1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General E4GT vs iPhone 4 / iPod Touch (Music Audio Playback) Quality

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YaBoiD, Sep 20, 2011.

1. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    Lauderdale, FL
    Hi Everyone,

I would like some input on just how much better or worse audio quality is on the Epic 4G Touch compared to the iPhone 4. From what I have been reading there are some discrepincies regarding the Yamaha DAC used. I use my phone a LOT for music & kind of miss Android and Sprint. Any input/feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. xxINFIDELxx

xxINFIDELxx Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2010
    I used mine as a music player yesterday while at lunch and was pretty impressed with the quality. Can only compare it to my iPOD NANO 6g but it was equal in my opinion, maybe even a bit better. Music player has nice equalizer features. I was using earbuds from my NANO too.

YaBoiD likes this.
  3. unplugged1

unplugged1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 19, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I went further into the abyss by comparing my PC, which uses uncompressed CD quality sound through a Realtek High Definition Audio controller and the lowly (in comparison) E4GT.

I used the same quality headphones (not earbuds) and the same music "Where Would We Be Now" by Good Charlotte. (Used because of substantial use of high piano and cymbals and bass notes, and dynamic range.) UPDATE: I also compared "What I've Done" by Linkin Park and my bass and dynamic range comparisons remain. The bass harshness is not significant, and the overall sound is very pleasing.

There was not a significant difference in the lows and highs. As expected, the music on the ET was somewhat "harsher" and clipped compared to the higher bit rate of the computer. I was actually surprised that the bass notes at high volume managed to still provide a kick given the ET was having to drive headphones instead of earbuds.

In the final analysis, the ET music was definitely thready compared to the fuller sound of the PC. However, there was no distortion at higher volume levels and the bass came through at the same equalization levels as the PC. All-in-all, I was impressed by the sound quality from the ET.

I don't think I'll move up to comparing my Denon AVR-4311CI receiver to the ET though.

YaBoiD likes this.
  4. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    Well, compared to my EVO 4G the sound quality on the Epic Touch is significantly better. On the Epic Touch, the sound is clearer and and bass is more powerful. There is a nice user adjustable (8 band) equalizer, too... so you can fine tune the sound just how you want. I could not believe it during my workout at the gym today.. much better sound!!

Unfortunately, I cannot help you in comparison to any iProducts... I have an iPod Touch (2nd Gen), which I have not used in quite some time, and every time I look at it I think to myself, how could something like this possibly be my "daily driver?"

YaBoiD likes this.
  5. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2010
    Lauderdale, FL
  6. Exit24

Exit24 Member
    None

May 22, 2011
  7. taylormah

taylormah Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    As far as the sound goes, I would say that EpicTouch can definitely replace your media player. I wont go as far as comparing it to ipod/iphone since I never owned them, but if you are using some good earbuds, this thing is awesome. Its speakers however are one area where samsung actually went backwards. My original epic 4g had powerful and super loud speakers, but comparatively E4GT's speakers leave something to be desired. I have less than perfect hearing, and I need my speakers to be loud and clear. I am not sound expert, maybe yamaha/wolfson story has something to do with it.