• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Ear buds with microphone

I've been using my tried and true Shure E2C buds with my Incredible for listening to music on the bike, but I'd like to have a set of ear buds with a mic. All the available ones seem to be for iPhone. Anyone know how these work with the Incredible? What buttons work, etc.? I only need good buds sound quality wise, and the ability to answer an incoming call and talk. I don't care too much about volume control or skip forward/back, but that would be nice.

I'm thinking Shure SE115m+ or Klipsch Image S4i.

Anyone using an iPhone set with an Incredible and know about the buttons?

I just tested the stock iPod Touch ear buds with the microphone and everything worked fine. QUOTE]

Thanks, and yes, please, if you test the ability to answer a call, let me know.

Anyone using aftermarked buds/mic, which all seem to be for iPhone/iPod? I guess if the stock iPod Touch buds work, that would indicate anything designed for an iPod would also work.

Tempted to take a chance!!

Upvote 0
I use an Etymotics hf2 (iPhone) headset with my Incredible. Listening to music, one button press pauses music or if phone is ringing answers the call. If on a call one button press hangs up. Two presses dials the last call in the phone log. If you unplug the headset while music is playing it pauses the music.

Upvote 0
I use the iPhone earbuds and they work fine. The button pauses/plays music on my music player when idle. Double clicking it calls my last dialed number. Pressing the button while the phone is ringing will answer the call.

I think the earbuds are standardized.
So unlike on the iPhone the dbl click button does not skip to the next song it calls the last number. I would rather have the skip function but all in all pretty cool they just work. Click-hold opens Voice Dialer for me. Perhaps I have an app causing that behavior or perhaps that is standard? I found no UI anywhere that controls the button behavior.

Upvote 0
For the record, I got a set of Shure SE115m+ buds. The sound is incredible, better than my E2's. Sound isolation is GREAT with the foam thingies for me, and they're better than the orange formies of the E2, smooth so stay cleaner, however, I did order a set of 5 pair for backup! The button on the cord hangs on the right side below your jaw, seems very nice. The middle button works. While playing music, one click starts/stops play, double click indexes to next song, triple click starts song over or if clicked immediately on song start (less that 6 seconds?) indexes back a song. The volume buttons do NOT do anything on the Incredible, so these things are NOT completely standardized. I have to test on a phone call, but the middle button should answer or hang up. The Incredible does show headphone w/mic icon, and there are 4 bands on the plug, not three like a phone only set.

All in all, I'm impressed. Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Reactions: Reprobate
Upvote 0
For the record, I got a set of Shure SE115m+ buds.

The middle button works. While playing music, one click starts/stops play, double click indexes to next song, triple click starts song over or if clicked immediately on song start (less that 6 seconds?) indexes back a song. The volume buttons do NOT do anything on the Incredible, so these things are NOT completely standardized. I have to test on a phone call, but the middle button should answer or hang up. The Incredible does show headphone w/mic icon, and there are 4 bands on the plug, not three like a phone only set.

All in all, I'm impressed. Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Klipsch Image S4i but I can't find a single post or review on the web that confirms that any of the functions work with the Inc. The lower price point Klipsch s2m reportedly works with the Inc, but it only has one button that can answer, mute and hang up. I can live without the volume control, but skipping to the next song would be nice.

Upvote 0
My brother got a Nexus One recently and got some ear buds with a mic. The mic sounds really good and the earbuds sound a lot better than I expected. Might be worth seeing if HTC has them on the site or maybe you can call the accessories line up and get some ordered. Probably a lot cheaper, too. You can use them while you save up for your 500 dollar set of ear buds with a mic. =P

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards the Klipsch Image S4i but I can't find a single post or review on the web that confirms that any of the functions work with the Inc. The lower price point Klipsch s2m reportedly works with the Inc, but it only has one button that can answer, mute and hang up. I can live without the volume control, but skipping to the next song would be nice.

Just to finish my comments on the buds, answering the phone works great. I can be riding my bike, playing music, if a call comes in the music pauses, I can click the middle button to answer, click again to hang up. The mic hangs right beside your face, mouth level, if you loop the cords over your right ear. I can talk on the phone while riding, hear fine, and no wind noise in the mic for the listener. I'm sure if it were howling windy you might hear some!!

And........these sound great, at least as good, probably better, that my E2C's. Bass is great, not boomy like some, not non-existant like most, just right, at least for my tastes.

Great buds for the Incredible if $115 won't break your budget.

Reactions: Reprobate
Upvote 0
i just wanted something simple. So I spent less than 20 on skull candy buds w/ a microphone. I hear fine, talk fine and the music is great. I have talked while riding a bike and working out in the gym. the ear buds cut out most sounds from around me and isolates the music great.

Good option if you don't want to spend 115.

Which model did you get? The ones from the Verizon website?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wah, $75k+ car and $20 buds! A penny saved is a penny earned , they say. You definately have your priorities in order!
Well I may have to pony up a little more $ for some better headphones. I called several people while driving around and everyone complained about a static/white noise in the background. It wasn't bad while I was stopped, but as soon as I accelerated, it became "annoying".

The sound quality on my end was OK. Nothing to brag about, but not horrible either. They do fit snugly which I think helps them do a fair job of blocking out some of the noise in the car.

I might have to check out those Shure SE115m+ buds! ;)

Upvote 0
The earphones and mic are great, but I've noticed that, ONLY on phone calls, I need the phone turned down to the lowest volume, else the sound hurts my ears. Perhaps it's due to the low impedance of the earphone (12 ohm) ?

I won't be returning these and will just deal with it, but I wish the earphones had a volume adjustment so I could turn down the sound coming through the earphones.

They still sound great overall. Just wanted to reiterate.

I don't know if there's a good set out there with mic, volume control (slider), and noise canceling mic.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones