• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ear pressing 'buttons' while talking?

Recently my phone's screen no longer 'blackout' during a call so my ear keeps pressing the screen buttons. Anyone else having this problem? Annoying as hell!...

Your proximity sensor is supposed to be keeping the screen off while the phone is at your ear. If it isn't, call service. You have a defect.

Well, unless you have long hair or long sideburns. There's a known issue with hair and the sensor.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Your proximity sensor is supposed to be keeping the screen off while the phone is at your ear. If it isn't, call service. You have a defect.

Well, unless you have long hair or long sideburns. There's a known issue with hair and the sensor.

Good luck.

Oh. So that's why I sometimes hit the button on my N1; was wondering if the proximity censor was broken or if it was just the ROM I'm running. :/ Stupid hair.

Upvote 0
Really the only best way to answer a call is to arrange your "holding hand" so that your pointing finger rests on top of the phone and sticks out just enough to press against your head so your face won't touch the screen. Never angle the Droid against your face; in fact make sure it always sits in a vertical position. If you have long hair, try to flip the hair back before putting the Droid to your face. And don't recline or lay down while calling; the proximity sensor blank-out only works well when the screen stays upright.

Rules man; ya gotta have rules. :)

Upvote 0
Really the only best way to answer a call is to arrange your "holding hand" so that your pointing finger rests on top of the phone and sticks out just enough to press against your head so your face won't touch the screen. Never angle the Droid against your face; in fact make sure it always sits in a vertical position. If you have long hair, try to flip the hair back before putting the Droid to your face. And don't recline or lay down while calling; the proximity sensor blank-out only works well when the screen stays upright.

Rules man; ya gotta have rules. :)

I already have a contract with Verizon! Now I have to make another one with my Droid? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones