1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Early Impression

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gordonwd, Jan 7, 2012.

1. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    I'm going to hold off on a real review until after I get my keyboard and after the ICS update, which may change a lot of things. But I do have a couple of early impressions...

First off, my only real beef so far has nothing to do with the specifics of this product, but is shared by all Android tablets: that 16:9 aspect ratio. Yeah, that's the ratio for HD TV and movies, but that's not why I bought mine; I bought it largely for 'net surfing, reading online news and info, e-books, etc.

So when it's in the "default" landscape position with its full-width browser, it just seems too wide to naturally hold, and the limited height means a lot of vertical scrolling. Portrait mode is almost worse, as it seems too tall and the content feels horizontally squished. You know, there's a reason why things like printed books and standard paper sizes have evolved to that "old" 4:3 (or more correctly, 3:4) aspect ratio -- they're optimized for the way your eye scans lines of text.

All other things being equal (which they are not), I prefer the look-and-feel of the iPad's screen for the way I intend to use it.

Secondly, about the GPS issue. This seems to be something that should be fixable to an extent in software. I took mine out onto my patio a few minutes ago and ran an app called "GPS Status" that displays a compass, level indicator, and GPS coordinates with satellite signal bars.

I was quite impressed when, within 20-30 seconds, it had a fix on 10 satellites and a position error of 20m. However, none of the bars was very high, indicating weak reception, and within a few more seconds all the satellites gradually diminished to zero and the GPS lock was gone! Another half minute later and they started reappearing.

I find it hard to explain this phenomenon as being just a matter of the antenna, as it seems it would be a bit more consistent, especially once it had found the satellites. I'll have to play with this more later, but there's definitely something strange going on (and I was not moving at the time!).

More later after I get the rest of my order and the system s/w is updated!

Advertisement

2. Slide83

Slide83 Member
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    I agree 100% on the aspect comment. Someone really needs to break the mold on android tablets and make on 4:3.

3. Treknologist

Treknologist Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Male
    Coral Gables, FL
    The aspect ratio is not a problem for me. In fact, I welcome it. I'm quite used to now using screens with 16:9 or 16:10 ratios for all of my computing. So, having it on the Prime is no different to me. I no longer like the 4:3 ratio, to be honest. Nonetheless, this is Android and someone could indeed make a tablet with a 4:3 ratio. After all, Android is about having choices.

4. irishtexmex

irishtexmex Member
    None

Count me in as another proponent of the 4:3/3:4 aspect ratio.

5. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    i go back and forth on the screen. when i am using the dock, it doesn't bother me. when using it as a tablet, sometimes i think its perfect and sometimes i think its too wide screen.

in a perfect world, i would want the screen to be the size of 8.5x11 - or at least a 14" 4:3 ratio.

6. kronie

kronie Member
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    My laptop is a 4:3 and my desktop is a 16:9. I prefer the 4:3 but 16:9 isn't a deal killer for me on this tablet. I'm just waiting for stock to come from whatever boat its on so that I can buy one....

7. Phoenix111

Phoenix111 Member
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Male
    Does the prime have text rewrap when you zoom in like Android phones and unlike iOS.

8. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    Male
    1st-grade Teacher & Adjunct Professor
    Queensbury, NY

Yes! And it does it in a very slick way. If you pinch and zoom to the point where the text is still left and right of your viewing area just double tap the screen. It will keep you just as magnified but rewrap the text accordingly. It's nice cause it gives you the option to view it by scrolling (I'd that's your thing) or rewrap too.

9. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    View in portrait :)