• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Early Termination Fees (ETF) Under Scrutiny - up to $550 for "advanced devices"

Verizon does not charge 550 for advanced devices. They charge 350 and 175 for the other devices. The 550 is only for the nexus one on t-mobile through google. Although I believe 350 is still outrageous. THey do this though to keep people form buying $600 droids for $375 ( two year price plus early termination). I mean if the ETF was still the same I might start adding a line and just buying new phones to sell them.

Upvote 0
Verizon does not charge 550 for advanced devices. They charge 350 and 175 for the other devices. The 550 is only for the nexus one on t-mobile through google. Although I believe 350 is still outrageous. THey do this though to keep people form buying $600 droids for $375 ( two year price plus early termination). I mean if the ETF was still the same I might start adding a line and just buying new phones to sell them.

While that sounds like a good idea, if there were no ETF's then anyone could buy the phone, therefore you wouldn't be able to sell it for much ;)

But while I would love no ETF, I agree with the fact that they are necessary for the company.

Upvote 0
While that sounds like a good idea, if there were no ETF's then anyone could buy the phone, therefore you wouldn't be able to sell it for much ;)

But while I would love no ETF, I agree with the fact that they are necessary for the company.

If there were no ETFs then the carriers wouldn't subsidize the price of the phones, then all the phones would be in the $500 range. The reason I didn't get the Nokia N900 was because I wasn't going to pay $500 for a phone. So I settled for the Droid, still haven't decided if it was a good choice or not.

Upvote 0
Yes, I too think they are necessary but $350 is too much especially for those that bought the device for $200+.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How is it too much? If you buy the phone without a contract it costs $550. With the ETF being $350 the only way you pay full price is if you end your contract early. If the ETF were lower and the initial price were still $200 then it would be cheaper to just end your contract early than to pay full price for the phone. This was especially a problem with some of the B1G1 blackberry deals before the ETF was raised. People would essentially pay $175 for a phone they could sell for $400 or more.

Upvote 0
How is it too much? If you buy the phone without a contract it costs $550. With the ETF being $350 the only way you pay full price is if you end your contract early. If the ETF were lower and the initial price were still $200 then it would be cheaper to just end your contract early than to pay full price for the phone. This was especially a problem with some of the B1G1 blackberry deals before the ETF was raised. People would essentially pay $175 for a phone they could sell for $400 or more.

I see your point about those that took advantage of BOGO offers only to cancel and sell the phones. In my case, I paid $200 for my phone plus a $200 ETF equals $400. $400 is more than enough to compensate the carrier for the cost of the phone. Yes, Verizon put $550 on their site, but where did the price come from? It is not a market price since I can get a new Droid on eBay for a lot less (somewhere around $300-$350). I'm pretty sure Verizon gets their phones alot cheaper than those eBay Powersellers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones