• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Earphone - Headset problem

BusterDAN

Lurker
Dec 20, 2010
Hi all...

My daughter has a ZTE Blade that I flashed originally to a custom rom running Froyo... for Xmas she got some new headset in ear headphones (one's with a mic)... The sound through these when plugged into the Blade is similar to listening to music underwater (muffled and echoing).... if you press the mic button the volume increases but is still poor quality. However plug in a normal earphone 3.5 connector (two bands rather than three) and everything sounds fine... I tried the earphones on other phones/computers and there is definitely nothing wrong with them. We also bought a second pair for my other daughter and they were exactly the same, I then tried my supplied Samsung Galaxy SII headset... again same thing... muffled and echoing sound.

So the problem was with the phone.

I decided to re-flash the phone this time with a Gen 2 Cyanogen Gingerbread rom... I tried the audio again after flashing and it seemed to have been fixed (admittedly I only played a track for a few seconds). Over the course of the day my daughter has reinstalled her apps etc... went to listen to some more music and again the same problem... muffled and echoing sound - pop in some normal headphones and everything is fine.

I have searched around and the problem seems to have come up before a few times but no one has really been able to track down what the issue is. I was actuallt thinking it might be app related (Skype or Tango for example) but I have stopped (not uninstalled yet) these apps but it makes no change.

So it seems that the Blade will not work with any wired headset/mic - any idea's please?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones