1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Easiest way to perm root DHD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ohmit89, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ohmit89

ohmit89 Newbie

Hi all,

I am looking to permanently root my DHD, but i have seen too many ways of doing it and it is confusing me. Things like custom rom, s-off, visionary. What is a nice simple way that works and has a low chance of bricking? bit of a noob to all this. Any help is appreciated!

Tim

this seems outdated otherwise id try it
    http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/215819-perm-root.html

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ohmit89

ohmit89 Newbie

used visionary to temp root... but looking to perm root can i just attempt permroot? or is that dangerous. has anyone bricked their dhd doing this? im running 2.2

3. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

i am not sure what you are intending to gain from rooting, and would suggest against it in case you arent sure. personally, i dont find too much to gain from rooting the dhd as there are now apps for most stuff you would want to do. and more importantly, you would be voiding your warranty (yes i know you can reinstall the stock firmware blah blah) by rooting and also not receive OTA updates (and yes i know you can reinstall the stock firmware blah blah)...my 2p fwiw!

4. ohmit89

ohmit89 Newbie

I like using droidwall and setcpu to unclock the cpu when screen off however the main reason why i want to perm root is because i swap out batteries all the time rather than wall charge, thus everytime i start up the phone it has to temp root again.

I bought the phone from Hong Kong so I guess i dont have warranty anyway. Just want to know if ppl have been having success with permaroot using visionary for their dhd.

thanks for you reply anyways

5. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member

Yes perm with visionary anyone who says no point in rooting obviously doesnt have a clue the benifits are vast

6. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

ehh? and what may those be for the DHD? i do understand from various forums that it is indeed beneficial for the desire etc.

p.s.: i have an nokia N900 that has been rooted since the first week i got it, and the phone/OS renders itself for rooting and doing funky stuff. so i do agree there are benefits to rooting but my comments were for DHD, apologies if i have hurt your sentiments...

7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

It's developer community dependant. If there is s custom kernel available which is undervolted, you can achieve the same CPU clock speed at much less power draw which would extend battery.

Also you could optimise RAM by using autokiller (this is not a task killer, despite its name) and use autostarts to stop application services listening for event. Eg, lastfm wants to know when you are in a different geographical area, so it listens for a locale change event trigger. You can prevent it doing that.

There's overclocking too

8. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member

Thanjs for giving a clear answer dan hate that people are being misled when it comes to gaining root on dhd the undervolted roms ect are a massiv benifit alone

9. Rubixious

Rubixious Newbie

Hi OP.
    I was new at this myself until yesterday afternoon. I followed the instructions here:
    How to- Root HTC DESIRE HD – included Downgrade from 1.72.405.3 to 1.32 | iGyaan.in
    and it took me from downgrading through visionary-rooting & radio-off etc. and into a standard non-Arabic-localised rom.

If you're looking for ROMs to try when you've finished this, there are some here:
    Download 6 Best Android 2.2 Froyo Custom ROMs For HTC Desire
    but I prefer [ROM] Android Revolution HD 2.0.9 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Sense/no-Sense - xda-developers
    (fast, clean, and liam's theme suits my aethetic needs)

You HAVE to do the downgrade-installvisionary-installclockworkmod parts per igyaan first, then you can install a custom ROM. To install the custom rom: (and this will make a LOT more sense when you've done the above downgrade-etc steps)

1. Download ROM and place it on your SD card
    2. In the ClockworkMod App go to "Reboot into Recovery"
    3. Once in Recovery go to "mounts and storage" and select: format data (safer to clean as you go... but still optional)
    4. Go back and select "Install zip from sdcard"
    5. Select "choose zip from sdcard" & select the path to ROM .zip file
    Once installed, reboot, power off your phone, turn it back on again, go back into Clockworkmod and hit "Reboot into Recovery" to install a theme. The above 5 steps also apply when you're installing a theme on top (e.g. liam's theme) - copypaste the theme zip onto your SD card and instead of selecting the ROM.zip at point 5 above, select the THEME.zip

Hope this is helpful.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews