• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Easiest way to remove the crapware?

jareth

Apr 22, 2010
So my phone is running 2.2 and is rooted. I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this; what's the simplest way to remove the crapware, now that I can. Is there an app, or is it a more messy hands-on process?

Either way, I can't wait to flush VZnav and City ID down the toilet they clawed their way out of ;)

Easiest way is to install one of the froyo roms with all the bloatware removed.

I would recommend Virtuous for you. It's basically the stock froyo rom but with little fixes and improvments.

Here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765447

This looks interesting, but is so far beyond my limited ability/knowledge (and I suspect about 99.9% of users as well) that I wouldn't go near it.

It there a simpler way?

Upvote 0
Installing a rom is even easier than rooting, just download rom manager from the market, and select the virtuous rom, if you are coming from stock 2.2 you probably can get away with not wiping your data BUT DO A BACKUP! And make sure you have about 1gb free on your sdcard

Rom manager? Virtuous Rom? Damn..don't even know how to back up! :eek: That is lame.... Wouldn't mind finding a reputable local service to do this without violating the warranty. Besides, how would this work with the inevitable hot fixes & more soon to come out?

Upvote 0
If you're rooted you have probably installed Titanium Backup. You can use that to "freeze" or permanently remove bloatware apps. Permanently removing them can make things complicated if you should need to unroot (eg for a warranty return), and there's always the risk of removing something essential, so freezing is a better option, at least at first, and especially since you're new to rooting. If you do remove anything, BE SURE to make a nandroid first, so you can revert to stock if needed! Another option (already described) is to move the bloatware so it won't run.

However, I second the recommendation to just install Virtuous. :) (ROM Manager is an app available in the Market, that makes it easy to download and flash ROMs. Virtuous can be installed using the free version. It's about the same difficulty level as rooting, or a little less, so do a bit of reading first.)

Upvote 0
Ok guys, im new to the forums, and new to Android, but i've got a 2.1 Desire, rooted, and i've got the SDK (and ADB) installed on my PC.

My goal was to remove CityID for good, not just until the phone was rebooted, and finally got this to work. The end result was that i was able to remove not only CityID, but Twitter and all the other stuff i'll never use. Gone from Apps Drawer, gone from Uninstall screen, gone after reboot :-D

This involves ADB IN RECOVERY MODE, which many posts made out to be extremely difficult to get the timing right, special SD cards, a bunch of voodoo and magic, blah blah... I got recovery mode on my phone simply by typing

ADB REBOOT RECOVERY

then i had to mount /system (using Clockwork Mod on the phone, tho suppose it could be done via ADB), and was able to simply "rm CityID.apk", and even after rebooting the phone, it's still gone, no trace of it.

Whole process took about 2 min, and was very easy... no "rapidly inserting and removing the memory card", no cooking live animals in a vat of boiling water while chanting in latin, or any other nonsense.

Furthermore getting the phone into ADB recovery has worked flawless each time i've tried it. If this is something new, please respond and i'll be happy to write up a more detailed description.

Reactions: PDegener
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones