• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Easiest way to root GT540 running 2.1! Now EVERYONE can root!

hello guys im new here in android forums. and im new for rooting/upgrading/updating etc..
my im using lg gt540
firmware version: 2.1-update1
kernel version: 2.6.29
software version: gt540-V20d-dec-01-2010

btw guys..i want to ask what is rooting? is this include how to upgrade my fone? any good features for it? sorry for my noobie q's im new to it..btw i bought my fone IN NZ.. im so new to this kind of stuff but i want my fone to be upgraded/updated like everyone else..hope u could help me guys.. thanks in advance

Yay another kiwi :)
I run a rooted phone with the (now latest edition RC5) cm7 mod. I've never had any issues with bricking my phone or updating to the latest mod in nz. We're fortunate that everything works so easily. Follow the instructions in the first post to the letter and you'll be fine. Basically rooting gives you access to your phone's inner workings. After that the world is your oyster. You can add or remove pretty much whatever you like.

Upvote 0
I install and run the z4root in my gt540 with firmware version 2.1-update1 and it can not rooted my phone.

when I run the z4root it start to rooted the phone but later the application closes. When I type su on the terminal it says "permission denied". I try to restart the phone by myself and nothing change.

what can I do?

Many(along with me) had failed to root their GT540 running 2.1 with the previous One-Click Rooter.. Don't feel down, now we can root too! With just one-click! This one is more simple... ;)

-Enable USB Debugging Mode, Allow Mock Locations & Unknown Sources...
-Download "z4root" from the Market...
-Open the app, click the 'root' button...

You are done! After some seconds the phone will restart on it's own & yay! It's rooted! :D

***z4root has been removed from Market, check post #12 for apk***

Upvote 0
thanks everyone! Think i've successully rooted my phone, I get 'superuser' when I click on the menu, and I installed titanium to uninstall sims, foursquare, shazam and some others that were pre-installed, after checking here.

however, i still can't move apps to sd, i have link2sd installed as apps 2 sd was 'incompatible with phone' but still can't move them. Can anyone share a link for formatting sd card easily please?

thanks

Upvote 0
Hi! After trying to root my GT 540 lots of times I've noticed, that when you extract the .zip in XP it doesn't extract the file rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin because of some ridiculous MS's security issue...

I'm a GNU/Linux user, but root.bat should be run under windows, so I've tried many ways of extracting this file out of the .zip and nothing did work!

Maybe you have found a way to do this under windows, but I just extracted the file under linux and then run the root.bat from a cmd window in xp.

And... it worked!!! :)

So, no I'm happy, and can just hope, that someday MS will stop preventing their users to do what they want to do with their computers...

best wishes!
Javier

Upvote 0
Yay another kiwi :)
I run a rooted phone with the (now latest edition RC5) cm7 mod. I've never had any issues with bricking my phone or updating to the latest mod in nz. We're fortunate that everything works so easily. Follow the instructions in the first post to the letter and you'll be fine. Basically rooting gives you access to your phone's inner workings. After that the world is your oyster. You can add or remove pretty much whatever you like.

Ok im also from NZ. Auckland to be exact i also like many want to root my because os version 2.1 literally sux. Is it possible to put up a link of the program that you used and the steps used because in all honesty I have no idea how to follow the first step as im not sure if i should download that one click root onto the computer or onto my phone. I know how to put into debugging mode and mock locations as well that other step but the rest is a bit of a doozey. Would be great if you could help please and thanks :stupido3:

Upvote 0
Rooting voids the warranty.
Rooting doesn't take away the ability to receive an update.
Updating will revert your phone to a Stock ROM/system, a Stock recovery, and takes away root access.
If you gain root access you can now delete something by accident that might cause force closures and possible system wide crashes. If you install a custom recovery it will allow you to make a complete backup of you system/ROM (this is called a nandroid backup). This is very similar to a restore point on a PC.
Rooted with no backup=possible brick.
Rooted with a backup=you can straighten out most any Oooops just by restoring the backup.

Upvote 0
Many(along with me) had failed to root their GT540 running 2.1 with the previous One-Click Rooter.. Don't feel down, now we can root too! With just one-click! This one is more simple... ;)

-Enable USB Debugging Mode, Allow Mock Locations & Unknown Sources...
-Download "z4root" from the Market...
-Open the app, click the 'root' button...

You are done! After some seconds the phone will restart on it's own & yay! It's rooted! :D

***z4root has been removed from Market, check post #12 for apk***
Hello and good day to you, i have been trying to install apps (like some java games) by loading dem on the SD card and then launching it from there, it was easy with my last LG phone (which was an LG cookie), but i cant seem to figure out how to do it on this phone, I also want to root it, how do i do it when the app is not on Android market but i have it on the SD card...please assist and look forward to your reply

Upvote 0
Hi all.I'm new here.
Firstly,thanks for creating this wonderful topic.
My sister brought my LG GT540 from Russia,so it has many pre installed apps that I don't use at all.
Please advice on which apps are safe to move. (android 2.1)

1) Agent Mail.Ru
2) Balda 1.5
3) Dating 0.3.12
4) Dictionary 1.5
5) FBReader 0.6.6
6) Java Downloads 2.1
7) LG App Updater 1.0
8) LG MusicClub 1.0
9) My World@Mail.Ru
10) Odnoklassniki 1.0
11) Quickoffice 3.2.47
12) RSS Reader 2.1
13) Sport-Express 1.0
14) Video editor 1.0.0
15) VKontakte 1.0
16) Weather 2.1
17) Yandex.Maps 1.21
18) Aфиша 3
19) РБК 0.9
20) яндекс 0.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones