1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Easily over 61 hours of battery life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dahmwern, Sep 10, 2011.

1. dahmwern

dahmwern Newbie

Alright, I've been playing a lot with battery life stuff and I noticed that my particular set up (I've posted about it before maybe, but I'm going to include more detail this time) is getting great battery life. So here's what it is:

Kernel: 2.6.35.10-More-Freedom-v0.8.5+
    ROM: MikG - Sense 2.1 + 3.0 - v2.5
    SetCPU Settings: Max 1152 Mhz, Min 128 Mhz Smartass
    Juice Defender: Balanced profile
    Advanced Task Killer: Auto Kill Level: Aggressive, Frequency: When screen off

Screen Brightness: No auto-adjust, set low like < 20%. Turn up momentarily if need be.
    Many applications that suck up battery life by updating continuously have had those features turned off.

Currently I'm at 61+ hours of battery life with 22% left.

I have not been trying to eek out every last drop of battery life. This has been with normal use. Phone calls have been made, I've browsed the internet, played some games, changed my wallpaper a few times, checked the weather, had Wifi on during the day, and even had my screen on for 50 minutes following a PDF file in a lecture.

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. sha4000

sha4000 Well-Known Member

thats good but I just want my battery to last through the day with some juice before i go to sleep :D Unless of course the local power company has one of their famous power outages in my area:thinking::thinking:

3. dahmwern

dahmwern Newbie

That's all fine and good but you have to remember that the more cycles your battery goes through, the more quickly it will need to be replaced. If I charge my battery 1/3 as much as you do, my battery might last 2-3 times as long as yours. There are other factors that come into play here as well, but simplifying the situation says this should hold.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

With the price of batteries these days I'm not really worried about having to replace it.

However, everyone wants their charge to last longer.

I'm not familiar with juice defender, but it looks like it has the ability to scale the CPU just like setCPU. Is there any interference with running them both concurrently?

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I installed JD a while back and I don't remember that function. It was when I wasn't rooted though so I might not have noticed it/it wasn't there. I'm 99.99% sure you need root to control the CPU Freq.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

It looks like that's for the Pro version only upon further inspection. They didnt make that clear when reading the free version information.

ocnbrze and El Presidente like this.
  7. El Presidente

VIP Member

Fair play, I only ever installed the free version.

To answer your question though, yeah there probably would be interference with them both running concurrently. Either uninstall SetCPU or disable the option in JD.

A lot of ROM devs will include their own daemon/governors though and 3rd Party apps will interfere with what the ROM is trying to do.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Ive got mostly the same set up as the OP except for the juice defender. Is adding that application something that you would suggest?

9. El Presidente

VIP Member

I found Juice Defender had the opposite effect and battery life was slightly worse with it installed. That was the free version though and it wasn't as customisable as some of the paid versions so you may get more joy than me.

I know there are plenty others who swear by it though.

10. sha4000

sha4000 Well-Known Member

Never thought about the effect charging had on the battery so i guess its a plus. How long is the battery supposed to last with normal use/charging? This is my first android phone since i was loving palm(700p.755p,treo pro) and i couldnt live without the touch screen. I never had a battery die on me though i have heard it happen to others. Either way ia good look so thx.

11. El Presidente

VIP Member

There's a bit of info here: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

12. dahmwern

dahmwern Newbie

Yes, I would highly recommend it. Basically what it does is turn off your connections (disabling most outgoing connections, you can read more about it online) while you're screen is off. It also limits them while your screen is on. You still get emails, calls and text messages, as well as any other thing you'd use while your screen is off but it saves a boatload of battery life at least in my experience.

Another important thing was setting the minimum frequency down to 128 Mhz. It seemed to help a noticeable amount.

One thing NOT to do, and I learned this from experience, is to have a "screen off" profile in SetCPU and scale it like 256max/128min. This really makes waking up the phone as slow as the checkout on Black Friday. The OC'ing doesn't really "kick in" until 5-6 seconds after you wake your phone up usually and that's about the time it takes to do whatever you're doing on your phone when you want it to run quickly. It really hindered my performance and disabling that immediately made my phone blazing fast.

13. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Interesting. So it sounds like JD turns the radios on and off to save battery..?

I am curious to see if you'd be able to get similar results with a different rom (say AOSP)...? But, the old saying: Don't mess with success comes to mind.. ;)

14. nihilist23

nihilist23 Newbie

*Sorry, please ignore. Thanks for the info OP.

15. speedygonzo

speedygonzo Member

Dahmwern, can you give me a download link to the kernel that you are using?
    Thanks!

16. speedygonzo

speedygonzo Member

i have the exact same setup now
    im gonna try it and see if i can get 61+ hours...

17. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

It is important to remember that each evo is different, and a rom / kernel combo that works great for one user may work awful for another user.

But post your results, I'm sure we'd all like to see them.

ocnbrze likes this.
  18. i.have.droid

i.have.droid Android Enthusiast

Does ATK memorize the apps not to kill when you trun off your screen? I unchecked spotify and some others I thought would be key..like Maps, Lookout and Messages..does this sound properly setup?

The screen off profile makes sense to me as well..I turned that off as well..we will see how it goes. I noticed after getting Skype that my battery was dying faster..that thing was probably in the background chewing up energy.

19. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

ok so not to stir a debate agian but atk (advanced task killer) are not needed for android. it can do more harm then good. android does a good job at monitoring what apps should be running in the background and what app should not be. i never use atk and my battery life does ok. but that is up to you.

read this thread:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

JohnRiley likes this.
  20. i.have.droid

Yes you are probably right..I have not noticed a huge difference in battery so I think I'm going to uninstall it.

21. i.have.droid

Highly suggest not using ATK..even with messages unchecked, it still killed my notifications..I missed about 5 texts because I got no noise or indication of a text.

I had to uninstall the app and wipe dalvick and cache to get back to normal.

ocnbrze likes this.
  22. speedygonzo

speedygonzo Member

so i tried it out today and got totaly different results... after 8 1/2 hours im at 60% charge and that was idle use...

23. jordan0314

jordan0314 Newbie

Where can i get the. Links to all the stuff I am already running mikg though

24. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    can you be a little more specific? not sure what stuff you are talking about.