• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

East Coast US GPS issues?

GPS will not connect at all this morning. Foursquare thinks I'm in Ontario, but I'm in Virginia.

Anybody else having issues? Bright sunshiny day here, but no GPS. :(

I had a problem once where I fired up google map and GPS and my coordinate where totally out of what. No matter killing the google map task or shutting down the GPS, it would put me somewhere else.

I removed the battery, rebooted and everything was fine. Something got totally out of whack. A big bug, just like wifi sometimes not working anymore or the battery showing dead red. Power off, power on, just like windows.

Upvote 0
I had a problem once where I fired up google map and GPS and my coordinate where totally out of what. No matter killing the google map task or shutting down the GPS, it would put me somewhere else.

I removed the battery, rebooted and everything was fine. Something got totally out of whack. A big bug, just like wifi sometimes not working anymore or the battery showing dead red. Power off, power on, just like windows.

Mine will occasionally put me out off the coast of the Carolinas, and sometimes in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. No clue what causes it. I'll fire it up an hour later and I'm back in Ohio. It's weird.

Upvote 0
a friend of mine who knows this type of stuff once told me that magnets could make things like your gps a bit screwy so yea dont keep your phone in the same pocket as something magnetic a lot. Whenever my phone is in the same pocket as my pager it goes into car dock mode and some things can freak out a bit so try not to do that.

Upvote 0
a friend of mine who knows this type of stuff once told me that magnets could make things like your gps a bit screwy so yea dont keep your phone in the same pocket as something magnetic a lot. Whenever my phone is in the same pocket as my pager it goes into car dock mode and some things can freak out a bit so try not to do that.
I carry my Droid in the same belt pouch that I used with my prior Samsung Omnia, and it has a magnetic flap. If the magnetic flap hits the back of the Droid, it will change to car mode. But it usually switches back out. I've been using this case since I first got my Droid on launch day last November, and it hasn't really caused any issues. The GPS problem is rare and can occur when the Droid hasn't even been in the case, so I don't really think that magnets are the issue.

Upvote 0

I don't see how a magnet is going to effect the gps signal. I've got a gps receiver for my car with a pretty damn powerful magnet to hold it to the roof.

Upvote 0
Your GPS receiver is having problems getting a fix. It's likely your Droid specifically. If it was a regional or larger scale issue with the GPS system then you'd definitely hear about it through other sources as it would affect more than just a few Droid users. ;)

Try these one at a time, in order.

Turn GPS off and then on.
Power cycle the Droid.
Dial *228, choose option 1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones