• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Easy backup? (contacts)

Magnamuz

Lurker
Mar 15, 2011
I know there are some backup threads already created but there are some things I can't understand in each thread so I'll ask it my way.

I need something to backup at least my contacts, as easy as possible. The nearest to "Menu->Backup->to SD" so I can have the backup in my computer forever.

Some considerations:
* Doesn't Android come with its own backup tool? (where can it be suggested?)
* If possible, a free app.
* I don't know what's "root" nor how to do it, sounds dangerous for newbies, take it into account in your answer please.
* Does Android Market retain the apps so I don't download a backup app that may be gone in 2 years and leaves me without the possibility to restore my old backup done with that missing app?

Thanks in advance!

Android should automatically sync the appropriate contact types to your accounts. Note that Phone contacts, however, are not synced.

How exactly do you intend for the backup solution to get contacts to your PC? Are you going to connect a USB cable? Are you connected via WiFi or BT at home?

Upvote 0
Well it all depends on what phone you have first off. Most every android with 2.1 or higher has a backup feature right on the phone under contacts or "people". Usually it's just contacts -> menu -> import/export feature. And then you just export to your SD card. Then your contacts are always saved on the SD card.
Also they auto back up to your gmail account if you have been saving the contacts to gmail and not to the phone. You can go to gmail and export as a CSV file to your computer. Another easy way of "saving" contacts to your computer.
Like I said depending on what phone you have depends on what syncing software is offered with it but most of the time you can get done what you need to get done without having to download any type of software or anything.

Upvote 0
How exactly do you intend for the backup solution to get contacts to your PC? Are you going to connect a USB cable? Are you connected via WiFi or BT at home?

I intend to backup my SD in my PC, obviously. It also has WiFi and Bluetooth if that matters.

It's an LG GW620, and in contacts doesn't seem to show Import/Export in the menu.

Any other suggestions to backup contacs to SD?

Upvote 0
If your contacts don't automatically sync to gmail since I guess some phones don't then use MyBackup Pro.

You can back up all of your contacts, calendar, SMS, MMS, playlists, alarms, dictionary, etc using that app. I use it to back up my call log, SMS, and MMS every night automatically.

This is the free version, but I do recommend the Pro version if you like it:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackup&feature=search_result

Reactions: Magnamuz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones